My monitor is not receiving a signal after a power surge during a thunderstorm.
Both Monitor and cpu were plugged into ups.
Have power to both monitor and cpu. Cpu has both red and green solid(not blinking) lights.
Have tried another monitor and still not getting signal.
System is a clone. Running XP

Have been advised to try switching video card with another and if that doesn't work - do the same thing with mother board and then power supply.

Is this the right way(sequence) to troubleshoot this problem ?

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Does your monitor have Onscreen Display? If that works, I'd bet there's nothing wrong with your monitor. Your short list looks about right to me. Good luck, hope you find the problem. :)

Yes, the monitor has onscreen display. I also didn't realize that my video port was connected to the motherboard, it's not a separate card. Does this mean that the motherboard would need to be changed in order to correct the problem ?

Yes, the monitor has onscreen display. I also didn't realize that my video port was connected to the motherboard, it's not a separate card. Does this mean that the motherboard would need to be changed in order to correct the problem ?

Motherboard ,with onboard video can also have an AGP video slot to upgrade the video to something better.You can also add a PCI video card ,You could look around for a old 2meg PCI card [a bout 5 bucks ] just to troubleshoot computer.,The onboard video will need to be disabled to do either of these .

If you have onboard video ,it could be that you toasted the Board ,or just the video chip .

Do the fans run when you turn it on? Do you get any beeps when you turn it on? Does anything happen at all? Any other clues to what could be causing the problem?

What's the difference between AGP and PCI ?
How do I disable the onboard video.
I'll look for an old PCI card. Thanks

Yes the fans run, but there are no beeps.
Nothing else happening that I can see or hear.

Take your system to a repair shop to have it checked. It sounds very much like the internal components have been damaged, and you will need to have it checked to find out what needs to be replaced.

Sounds good. Will take it in today ?
thanks

Just got my system back. The mother board was fried. They replaced it. Everything's working fine now. Thanks for the help.

I have actually had this problem a couple of times, and each time what i had to do was remove everything from the computer case (motherboard and everything connected to it). then put an antistatic bag underneath the mb and see if you are getting a signal. If you are than remove the bag and place one screw in at a time do determine if it is a ground problem. Amazingly this has worked everytime i have lost a video signal due to a power surge; i guess it just resets or something. Anyways i hope this helps anybody else with this problem.

Thanks,
Ryan

Just got my system back. The mother board was fried. They replaced it. Everything's working fine now. Thanks for the help.

how much was it to replace the motherboard, and did you loose any information/files etc in the process?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.