I have a Microstar K7 Pro (MS6195) main board that has 196MB of RAM, and I want to increase it to it's max cap of 768MB. My owners manual list the memory as being 168-pin unbuffered DIMM, which supports a 3.3v PC100 SDRAM. I pulled one of the modules out to see what kind of specifics I could find, and found out that the module was PC133. The computer works, so this must not be a problem, but it sure confuses me. I'm looking for three sticks of 256MB.....can some one tell me specifically what will work? I'm unfamiliar with manufacturers and could use some advice in that area also. And last of all, how does a PC133 work in a system that supports a PC133?
Dazed and confused...dcc

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I would buy the PC100 ram. PC133 will run in your computer, but it will only run at PC100 speeds. So basically your paying more for nothing. I would just go with 256mb PC100 ram sticks.

PC133 will run in your computer, but it will only run at PC100 speeds. So basically your paying more for nothing.

Right. PC133 is backward-compatible with PC100, but it acheives that compatibility by slowing down to PC100 speed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.