Recently bought 9600xt graphics crd and more RAM, now have 768mb (P4 2.8ghz) so i can play new games like HL2 and Far Cry. However i keep getting flickering lines on the screen with both games and sometimes slow down!! I need some help, i havent installed any drivers on my crd, is that the problem? Its gettn annoyn as thought comp would now be good enough to handle these games!! Any help would be much appreciated, ty

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

When you want to install a new video card you should uninstall the drivers from your previous card and then you should install the drivers for your new card. I recommend downloading the most recent drivers at http://www.ati.com.

In addition to that, if the previous display card did not have an ATi graphics processor, you should ideally format and reinstall before using the card.

But check that you are not using the card with detail settings set too high. A 9600XT isn't really a high performance card when it comes to games like Doom3 and Half Life 2 ;)

In addition to that, if the previous display card did not have an ATi graphics processor, you should ideally format and reinstall before using the card.

But check that you are not using the card with detail settings set too high. A 9600XT isn't really a high performance card when it comes to games like Doom3 and Half Life 2 ;)

I dont know why but people always think Half-Life 2 needs a high-end video card. I myself have a 9600XT 256MB video card and half-life 2 runs very well at high video preferences. You're right for Doom 3 though.

yeah i know, still hasnt resolved it, im just running on recommended settings.....the lines accross the screen i get...could that b problem with my monitor, ie its crap??thanks

Well if your games slow down, it is not caused by your monitor because its only used to show you the image produced by the video card. You have enough RAM and your cpu is good enough so I dont think this is the problem.

The problem of the slow downs could be because of running applications in the background or the video card but im not sure. It could be possible that your monitor has lines but if you only see them in games I dont think the monitor is the problem.

Try running games at minimum settings and if it still does it, it is not normal because by the description you gave me, your system should run the games very well at minimum. Then it might be your card.

BTW, have you tried to format your drive and reinstall Windows if you had another graphics processor than ATI?

hey, your a star, most forums ive joined take ages to reply, if at all!!! Thanks. My old crd was a built in intel extreme, dont knw if that had drivers or not with it. The slow down is like when the game loads, but only for a second or two. Its still annoying tho! And the lines are definately only with hl2 and farcry. Not so much lines but interferance when i turn left and right quickly.

These arent major problems, can still play them, but pisses me off when spent so much money!!! Anyway il try playn them on low settings see if still happens, thanks again.

I think there are drivers for integrated graphics. I've never had any though.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.