I got a new computer and I want to put a slave in it. Well.... I put a slave in it and made the jumper settings right. I turn on the computer and it boots up fine but, when I go to MY COMPUTER to see if the slave is there, its not. Its seems as if the hard drive is not recognized by the computer or something. I got it out of a new dell computer and i think it has an operating system on it but im not sure. Is there anyway I can get the computer to recognize the drive? or what about erasing everything off of it? Is there any way I could do that? Or see if theres anything at all on the drive? I dont know what to do. Like I said... I hooked everything up right the computer just doesnt recognize it. Please help me.

P.S. As i keep reading through the forum here it keeps saying to turn the computer on and get it in BIOS to see if the computer recognizes it. How do i do this? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bradey Peers

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

You get to CMOS/BIOS by hitting the delete key or sometimes F2 when you see the memory test...

Some gateways and others have a boot screen where you need to hit tab to see it post...

One other question would be...
Did you check the jumpers on the master drive...
Sometimes a drive is jumpered one way for stand alone and another when it is a master...

The master drive must be connected to the the end of the IDE cable and the slave must be connected to the middle. Ensure both have the correct jumper setup.

Once the BIOS recognises the drive, you may also have to activate it in Windows. See this article for help on how to do this.

The master drive must be connected to the the end of the IDE cable and the slave must be connected to the middle. Ensure both have the correct jumper setup.

Once the BIOS recognises the drive, you may also have to activate it in Windows. See this article for help on how to do this.

Thanks for the info. i took my computer to some friends at a local computer store and i found out that my motherboard and processor are to old for it to recognize the drive. i have a PII (pentium 2) Processor and it wont recognize anything over 8 gigs. I was trying to put a 60 gig drive in, thats why it wouldnt work. thats ok cause they gave me a 4 gig drive, which really sucks but its better then nothing. :eek:

Sometimes a BIOS update can fix that issue, and there are also utilities available from hard drive manufacturers that force the system to recognise the entire drive.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.