GuyClapperton 12 Staff Writer

Just off the phone for a piece I'm writing for one of the UK press - I'll link to it when it's up. It's about smartphones, and one of the points was that the iPhone (not strictly a smartphone as far as I can see, more a feature phone) is now aiming at the corporate market with its Microsoft Exchange support.

There are two things that militate against this working and I'd love - no, love - to hear from some IT managers on the subject - you might even get quoted in the article. The objections were:

1. Numerous corporate entities get kind of jumpy when employees come in and insist on attaching their own devices to the network through a USB socket. They think it's insecure and they've probably got a point.

2. The only way an iPhone is going to synchronise with a PC (a Mac is different) is by installing iTunes. Since there is no standalone version of iTunes that doesn't link back to Apple's servers by default, who's going to want that on their network?

I'd welcome sanity checks and opinions on those arguments, which seem solid to me.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.