A friend recently put a computer together for me, as I have no idea how too. Anyways, about 10 minutes after using my computer I get these small green dots to form uniformly on my monitor, as the computer continues to run the the dots turn into lines. It just seems to me, a person with no experience with this type of stuff, that once the computer warms up it starts to effect possibly the video card. I talked to my friend over the phone and he told me to buy a case fan, I did. There is only one spot for the fan, on back wall of the case. I installed it, but to be honest I don't know if it is suppose to blow out the back of the case or back into the case. Doesn't make a difference since I have tried it both ways and the green dots/lines have came back. Does is appear my computer is running too hot? If so what are my options?
My friend is going to take a look at the computer in a few days.

thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I'd suggest you stop using that PC until it's looked at. Sounds like it has an overheating problem or alternatively has a faulty display card. But it could be that the processor has been incorrectly installed, without adequate thermal transfer compound used between chip and heatsink.

Impossible to be specific, because there are quite a number of possible causes.

The fan should be blowing out, cool air in, hot air out.

I Have Intel P D 2.8 Dule Core My Temps Are 30c Idle And About 40c Loaded Processor Case Is 34c And 87f Which I Think Is Good

1 80MM Fan 1 120MM Fan And Big Water SE Liquid Cooling FanDoes That Sound Bad? On A Pentium D How Hot Average Should The Processor Run?

I dont think you can have an average operating temperature for a processor because it varies greatly on the individuals setup. Your temps sound mighty fine if you ask me.

I would estimate about 10-15* c higher for idle and load if you are on air. Maybe even higher for load temps.

I dont think you can have an average operating temperature for a processor because it varies greatly on the individuals setup. Your temps sound mighty fine if you ask me.

I would estimate about 10-15* c higher for idle and load if you are on air. Maybe even higher for load temps.

My Friend Has The Same Setup As Me Accept Stock Heatsink And Fan His Temps Are 104f 110f Under Load Is That Too Hot? What Is The Hottest A Pentium D Should Run? How Hot Before It Overheats?

A friend recently put a computer together for me, as I have no idea how too. Anyways, about 10 minutes after using my computer I get these small green dots to form uniformly on my monitor, as the computer continues to run the the dots turn into lines. It just seems to me, a person with no experience with this type of stuff, that once the computer warms up it starts to effect possibly the video card. I talked to my friend over the phone and he told me to buy a case fan, I did. There is only one spot for the fan, on back wall of the case. I installed it, but to be honest I don't know if it is suppose to blow out the back of the case or back into the case. Doesn't make a difference since I have tried it both ways and the green dots/lines have came back. Does is appear my computer is running too hot? If so what are my options?
My friend is going to take a look at the computer in a few days.

thanks in advance

Do You Know What Kind Of Motherboard Is In The CPU Because Alot Of Times You Can Go To The Manufactures Web Site And They Offer A Heat Diagnostics Tool That Will Tell You How Hot Your Computer Is Running

P.S. My System Is As Follows

Pentium D 2.8 Dual Core
2x1GB PC 5300 667 Dual Chanell Ram
Big Water SE Liquid Cooling System
Plextor 16X DVD Burner Internal
Plextor 16X External DVD Burner (Firewire)
Western Digital 250GB SATA 2.0 3/GB's Hard Drive
Segate 7200RPM 80GB Hard Drive
Gigabyte Gigabyte GA-8I945GMF Mother Board
Internal Belkin Firewire Card
1x120MM Case Fan
1x80MM Case Fan
550W PSU
ABIT RX700pro-128PCIE Radeon X700PRO 128MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
Dual Black Lights (One On Top One On Bottom) To Make Coolant In Big Water Liquid Cooling System Glow

Max temps for Intel Pentium D (dual core)
Pentium D 820 (2.8GHz) 63°C
Pentium D 830 and 840 (3.0-3.2GHz) 69.8°C

Typically, when it comes to cpu temps, all units are kept to °C to keep things standard so we don't have to convert between the two.

But your friend seems fine with his temps of 110*f ==>45*C. As long as your under about 55-58 under load i think you have no need to ever worry.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.