I am deciding between two 6800Gt's

both have
256Mb 350Mhz core 1000Mhz Ram, and such
but one is a XFX with a refresh rate of 2???x1??? @ 85Hz
and the other is a eVGA with a refresh rate of 2???x1???@ 75Hz

i forgot the exact resolutions but they are the same on both cards the only difference is the 10Hz refresh rate will 10Hz make a noticable difference? if not Ill get the eVGA because it has Doom 3 for only $8 more

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

What you need to ask yourself is whether you'll actually be playing a game at a resolution of 2048 x 1536 (I assume that's what you mean by 2???x1???). High end 19" monitors max out at 2048 x 1536 @ 68Hz. Running a game at that resolution would also result in a heavy performance hit since the video card is doing a lot more work!

yes i know that but I am asking this because I dont know if since it runs at 10Hz lower at max resolution it might have to run at 75Hz on 1200x1024 jeez, I didnt know if 75Hz was max or just max at that resolution. I never said I would be running a game at max resolution. because i rather get doom 3 for 8 more bucks then 54 because commandos 3 doesnt look all that great.

and a question for someone else

is there any major common problem either either XFX or eVGA cards I should now about?
Like is one brand better then the other?

yes i know that but I am asking this because I dont know if since it runs at 10Hz lower at max resolution it might have to run at 75Hz on 1200x1024 jeez, I didnt know if 75Hz was max or just max at that resolution. I never said I would be running a game at max resolution. because i rather get doom 3 for 8 more bucks then 54 because commandos 3 doesnt look all that great.

I'm sorry for assuming otherwise rc. I'm only trying to help! The refresh rate described is only for that ridiculously high resolution. Lower resolutions will have much higher refresh rates.

and a question for someone else

Am I not allowed to try? :(

is there any major common problem either either XFX or eVGA cards I should now about?
Like is one brand better then the other?

Most card manufacturers follow the chipset maker's reference design, so performance will be near identical. The differences usually lie in the type of cooling (silent, double height) and RAM chips (may be higher-rated leaving room for overclocking) used. I'd just go for the Doom 3 package.

I'm in full agreement with Coco. The stated refresh rate of the card is a bit of a nonsense, because virtually no monitors can display at those settings anyway.

And the cards I'm pretty sure are virtually identical in all respects except perhaps the heatsink and fan used.

The only cards I've seen that really deviate from the reference specs for the 6800GT are some of the Asus versions, which are sub-standard, and the Gainward Golden Sample, which is extremely good but ridiculously expensive.

once again I was not saying I was going to run at maximum resolution, I just wanted to know if since at max the refresh rate was lower then the other, it could have been lower as well at a lower resolution, I DID NOT say I was going to run at maximum resolution. :mad: why doesn't anyone listen to me here?

and that question for someone else was just for someone to answer.

BTW i went to a local Circuitcity and they had a AMD 64 3400+ there with 512MB and a 9200se, and WOW that pc had power, I opened up windows media player and unlike my celeron, windows media player opened up before I could react I was like , WOW. I cant stop thinking what a AMD 64 3400+ with 2gigs of ram and a 6800GT will do.

ok not to be rude but, no monitors i know of run at 68 Hz because hte set minimum is 75, furthermore to answer the original guys question, most monitors run with a range of 75-85 hz, if ur monitor can run more then u can do w/e u want with ur card, it wont make u have less lag though, just make it 75 or 85, ull know which one to use.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.