If I can get the right help here, maybe I can help others out later.

The problem? My desktop pc won't boot up. Window starts with the "We apologize for the inconvenience," and all the options just return me to the same screen.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Nothing in my XP cd is able to help. In the Recovery mode I get as far as "Examining 76294 MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on bus 0 atapi..." on the bottom and nothing happens. Left it at this point for ~8 hours. Shouldn't the 0's at least started incrementing? What can I do next to narrow down where the failure is?

Thanks!

One new try:
I set Disable automatic restart
When Windows XP encounters a fatal error, the default setting for handling such an error is to automatically reboot the system. If the error occurs while Windows XP is booting, the operating system will become stuck in a reboot cycle--rebooting over and over instead of starting up normally. In that case, you'll need to disable the option for automatically restarting on system failure.
When Windows XP begins to boot up and you see the message Please select the operating system to start or hear the single beep, press [F8] to display the Windows Advanced Options Menu. Then, select the Disable The Automatic Restart On System Failure item and press [Enter]. Now, Windows XP will hang up when it encounters the error and with any luck, it will display a stop message you can use to diagnose the problem.

On my screen the results were:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x82D7C1B8, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000

OK, what does this Hex error code tell me?
How can I disable anything if I can't launch windows? I have a copy of "Knoppix" but what do I have to do to launch a program (such as CHKDSK)?

Did you make any hardware changes recently? if you had done it try to put it back check for any difference... have you tried to do a repair installation of XP?

Did you make any hardware changes recently? if you had done it try to put it back check for any difference... have you tried to do a repair installation of XP?

The only hardware changes I made was disconnecting everything possible (printers, remote card readers, etc.) "after" the failure. All I have connected now is the monitor, keyboard and mouse. Internet line is also disconnected.

When I launch the windows xp cd, and type R for Recovery. I get the "Windows XP Home Edition Setup" on top of screen. At the bottow of the screen it reads "Examining 76294 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi..."

And locks up there. What can I do to determine what to do next to find out what needs to be replaced?

Thanks.

if it stops on that particular error examining disk..then it seems like your HDD is having problem..try to install your Windows XP on another HDD if you got a spare one..

if it stops on that particular error examining disk..then it seems like your HDD is having problem..try to install your Windows XP on another HDD if you got a spare one..

I don't have another HDD... Yet.
When I was able to look into my hard drive using Knoppix, I was able to see most of my data (pictures) were still there. I don't want to lose them. I know, I should have made a backup by now.

Since I am able to "see" these files, and all other files for that matter, isn't this more likely a software error? Or, maybe a mandatory file missing?

Here's another data point to this mystery. For about the last year or so, if I powered up my PC with the Canon MP830 printer already on, I would get the BLOD. I would have to force a shutdown, turn off the printer, and re-boot. Everything would work just fine. I could power up the printer after booting up and it also worked fine. I was just unable to launch windows xp with the printer already on.

Perhaps info this may be of help-
The Stop 0x24 message indicates that a problem occurred within Ntfs.sys, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. A similar Stop message, 0x23, exists for the file allocation table (FAT16 or FAT32) file systems.

Possible Resolutions:

# Malfunctioning SCSI and Advanced Technology Attachment (ATA) hardware or drivers can also adversely affect the system's ability to read and write to disk, causing errors. If using SCSI hard disks, check for cabling and termination problems between the SCSI controller and the disks. Periodically check Event Viewer for error messages related to SCSI or FASTFAT in the System log or Autochk in the Application log.

# Verify that the tools you use to continually monitor your system, such as virus scanners, backup programs, or disk defragmenters are compatible with Windows XP. Some disks and adapters come packaged with diagnostic software that you can use to run hardware tests.

To test hard disk or volume integrity

How can I run some of the simple tests, like CHKDSK /F ?

This problem was finally resolved by taking the pc to the shop. Now I just need to have what will be necessary the next time it happens. What do I need? To build my own boot up cd?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.