I formatted my computer and now when I restarted to put the operating system on I get a boot up error. It says keyboard error or no keyboard present. At the bottom it gives me the choice to press F1 to continue, DEL to enter setup.
I go continue and let the windows xp setup load and it wont go any further because I need to hit ENTER to setup windows. So I take out the XP disk and put in a 98 CD and it installs, I finish setup and now it wont detect my mouse and I still get the keyboard error on startup. It is wired because even though I get the keyboard error the keyboard still works!
Anyway, now I have it formatted yet again and I just restarted it to where I should have my wondows Cd in to run setup but I am still getting the keyboard error, and I want to pt XP back on it so I need to know what I can do before I run the windows setup.
I have formatted many times and I have the same hardware that I have always had. The only thing that I have done different this time was I had the drive partitioned, I deleted the drives, I had a bit of trouble deleting the partitions, but got it done after a while. Now I am back to just having the 1 drive again.
Keyboard and mouse are ps2 connectors and they are the standard kind, I had no drivers with them and I have never needed to install drivers for them.
If someone can help it would be greatly appreciated. :)

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Reset CMOS. Better still, remove and replace the CMOS battery.

I removed a battery...the only one that I see there, had it out all night and nothing happens. Do I need to keep it out longer? People tell me that a couple of hours should reset everything.

Overnight should be ample. If it still won't install and reliably recognise mouse and keyboard then perhaps the motherboard or the input devices are faulty.

I took a friends hard drive and replaced mine for hers...I don't get an error and the keyboardand mouse works fine. So I guess that would leave me with hard drive problems and nothing to do with the connectors or motherboard. So this is where I am at...I have 1 partition and no operating system installed!!

The sysmptoms ou report are inconsistent. Are you sure that you've actually been following the correct procedures to remove existing partition(s) and start off fresh for a lean install? This sounds to me like a problem occurring from an attempt to install 'over the top' rather than fresh. Except for this bit:

I formatted my computer and now when I restarted to put the operating system on I get a boot up error. It says keyboard error or no keyboard present. At the bottom it gives me the choice to press F1 to continue, DEL to enter setup.

that is NOT a problem which occurs as a result of a hard drive problem!

KK, dont laugh and sorry for confusing you but I have resolved the problem...I'm sure I checked this earlier but...I guess not cause it would have worked for me then. I unpluged the friends hard drive and pluged mine back in and everything is working properly!!
Oh well anyways thanks for the input it was much appreciated.

When Trying To Boot I Get This Error Message :
Ide Channell No 80 Conductor Cable Installed

Keyboard Error Or No Keyboard Present

dear friends plz help me to solve this problem as follws my system soon after it starts it is showing KEY BOARD ERROR OR NO KEY BOARD PRESENT, BOTTOM PRESS F1 TO CONTNUE OR PRESS DELEATE SET UP,AFTTER I CLICK F1 ALSO NO USE.THIS PROBLEM STARTED TODAY..MOUSE & KEY BOARD R NOT READING.PLZ........... HELP ME.........MY EMAIL....... ramesh640@gmail.com plz...............

dear friends plz help me to solve this problem as follws my system soon after it starts it is showing KEY BOARD ERROR OR NO KEY BOARD PRESENT, BOTTOM PRESS F1 TO CONTNUE OR PRESS DELEATE SET UP,AFTTER I CLICK F1 ALSO NO USE.THIS PROBLEM STARTED TODAY..MOUSE & KEY BOARD R NOT READING.PLZ........... HELP ME.........MY EMAIL....... ramesh640@gmail.com plz...............

i tried in all ways but no use.....................plz........................................how to interact in members...............plz send email immdly

i removed battery but it is showing along with key board error os checksum error-defaults loaded............plz solve the problem

now it is showing along with key board error OS CHECKSUM ERROR-DEFAULTS LOADED.bringing in to ur kind notice after falling mouse down this problem started. now key board and mouse are not recognising,,,,,,,,,if i press fi also no use........plz help me.............plz.........my email...... ramesh640@gmail.com

Try removing the CMOS Battery (in a little rack on the motherboard) looks something like a coin - a quarter but thicker )
Then wait 11 minutes, and reinstall.
This will reset your BIOS, but it will also require some additional setups of clock, and etc.
This should work for a simple glitch.
Otherise, use an old style PS/2 mouse and keyboard instead of USB.
If those do not work, you may have an irrepairable hardware error requiring a new motherboard.

I've had the same message as in the above posting since Friday (4 days ago). Oncor, the electicity provider for my area had power issues Friday where every 10 minutes the electricity would cut off and right back on. This went on for hours. After about the 4th or 5th time I started unplugging anything important that was not plugged into a UPS. One PC, the one having the ..."keyboard error or no keyboard present..." message on at bootup, has encountered the issue every since I turned it on with one exception. One time it opened to my Windows XP desktop and everything but my keyboard worked fine. I've tried multiple keyboards, disconnected my Hawking KVM swith and plugged straight into the PC, and nothing has helped. I had missed unplugging the PC with this issue now during the electric company's power issues. I have to wonder if the problem is somehow related.

During the one time the PC booted to the XP dektop, I look under Control Panel and look clicked on Keyboards. I had no driver or any information there. Clicking the Troubleshoot button pulled up nothing since there was no driver there to troubleshoot with I guess?

I've yet to take out the CMOS battery and try that approach. I am legally blind and would really like to avoid having to do this if it will not help. From the information given here, is it still advised that I take out the CMOS battery?

There are a few other details I can give if they are needed. I sure would appreciate any help in getting this issue fixed! Thank you...

try using an usb key board

Member Avatar for W1ND0W5

The problem was resolved by a new HDD? There may have been some kind of weird shorting out on the mobo causing the K/B not to work properly. Trust me, I have known strangre things to work...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.