So i've been having my pc for 2 years now.Here is it's speccs:

CPU : Intel Core 2 CPU 4300 @ 1.80Ghz
Ram : 1gb
Graphic Card :Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT 250mb
MB : Asus P5L-MX

When i got my pc i could run World of Warcraft(WoW) using full graphics without having any probs(that was before the latest expanion that has better graphics than the previous).
It's been a year now though that WoW is crashing too often.In the beginning it was only WoW.But after a while this was happening with every game i was playing(mostly with Guitar Hero).It's 3 things happening.Either screen will freeze and pc will restart on it's own, or screen will freeze for some seconds and graphics will go crazy(i mean i don't see the normal textures.For example a normal tree will be shown with different colours and textures from an in-game wall.I can fix this by restarting the game)or graphics will go crazy again and show some things like small lines flashing in the whole screen(this is caused in the whole screen even if i restart WoW and not only in the WoW window like the previous issue).I tried cleaning my pc hardware,i even formated my hard disc,i tried downloading the last drivers for every software/hardware i am using(related or no to WoW) but the problem still exists.What is more it's getting worse now.I could play for hours till one of the problems would occur but the last two days it won't allowe me play more than 1hour and even when i restart my pc the screen will instantly freeze(when i log into WoW).I also tried reducing video settings(even tried 800x600 resolution :S) but the problem is still there.The background applications i am usuall running is Firefox(not watching any videos or something, just in sites like this one looking for news.I am listening to online radio but i doubt that could cause the problem), msn and maybe a media player(WMP,iTunes or Winamp).The other programms running minimized in my windows bar is BitDefender,OpenOffice Quickstarter and Dropbox.Does anyone have any ideas of what could cause this?I am thinking that this has to do with my Hardware and not my Software.But i don't know what part exactly has the problem.I really need to fix this issue cause it's getting annoying.Oh and the last thing to mention is that i am playing in Windowed Mode(some times when i play in full screen mode my loading times is faster and i got less lag but still my screen freezes after some time).These are the readings i am getting from a sofware that came with my motherboard disk(PC Probe 2 it is called the program).
http://img513.imageshack.us/i/78588294.jpg/ I guess something is wrong with it?If yes what is it?Need to know so i can replace it

Recommended Answers

All 29 Replies

Try running HWMonitor. Unlike ASUS Probe 2 (I also have ASUS mobo) it will monitor VGA temp too.

While it is running, start WoW and play for a 10 minutes. HWMonitor will record lowest and highest temps and voltages.

You can post the results here.

Hi,

I'm positive it's down to the temperatures, definitely. As Chaky said, download HWMonitor and see what the temperatures are; preferably posting them back.

These are the readings i am taking after 10 mins of playing.

http://img26.imageshack.us/i/monitorifk.jpg/

I was playing in an area with a few people though.Didn't push my machine.What is more i'd like to add that i hear a strange noise from my pc case when i'm launching games.

Strange noise?
could you be more specific?

You can only hear fans, HDs and DVD drives from the case, so which was it?

You shoud stress the machine and then post the temperatures. The idea is to see what (and if) something is overheating. Chipset temp. that was red in Probe 2 wasn't that high.

Try going into a main city in World of Warcraft, Orgrimmar or Stormwind City, walk into the auction house (or the busiest place at the time) and post the temps whilst you're in there.

The thing is that game will probably crash by the time i'll get there.I'll try do it right away though :) Are the temperatures i posted ok?

They look fine to me. :)

.. which doesn't guarantee that one of them wouldn't launch sky-high when you put it to the real test.

Here are the new results.Doesn't seem much different
http://img177.imageshack.us/i/monitor2.jpg/

I went in the most crowded place and stayed there for about 5 minitues doing circles all over the place.That's where i got the most probs.Almost every time i was getting there WoW was crashing.Now it happens in non-crowded areas too.

I was suspecting GPU core to go over 80, which would explain the artifacts appearing on the screen. Apparently, that is not the case.

Colors changing, artifacts and erratic lines appearing with immediate crash point to VGA gone bad.

And those noises you hear would probably be fan(s) out of balance. Possibly dust buildup or damaged blades.

I am pretty sure the sound comes from a fan.The CPU or the Graphic Card one.What is more...earlier i tried logging with one of my characters and i experienced one of the issues i mentioned before.It was the last problem with the flashing lines.I tried to get a screenshot and then i restarted.The screenshot showed my desktop normally without the flashing lines....

I managed to get some photos of my monitor when the problem was in progress :) Will upload them in 1 min

I tried to get a screenshot and then i restarted.The screenshot showed my desktop normally without the flashing lines....

That only prooves that the problem originates within VGA.

VGA is the Video Graphics Array, mainly to connect your monitor to your GPU and process the data.

How long have you owned the graphics card for?

Since i got my pc.It was 2 years ago if i am right.

If the warrany isn't void, use it.

To change the whole machine u mean?If not are there some spesific parts i could change to solve this problem?I am not sure about the warranty and i can't really afford buying a new pc now.

Well, your graphic card certanly needs replacing. If you bought the whole machine as one package, then you'll need to RMA it in order to replace the broken graphic card. Usually, when you buy whole PC as one package, then you get warranty on the whole package.

If you got the components separately, then the graphic card's warranty is what needs to be valid, and you should RMA only the graphic card.

If the warranty expired in either case, you don't need to change everything. Just your graphic card. 8600s are relatively cheap.. and there are allways 2nd hand cards.

To be certain that it IS graphic card that needs replacing, try it in another PC, or try another graphic card with your PC.

Unfortunately i can't use this graphic card on my other PC.It seems like my warranty lasts for one more year :) I'll get it to the place i bought it and hope they will fix it.If no i guess i should buy another card on my own?What would you suggest for a price range of 150-200 euro?I also asked in another site(wow related)for help and they said i should upgrade my ram and my processor is too slow.Should i replace them too?(this question doesn't have to do with the problem)

I suggest that you use that money to get more ram and new CPU, although, you'll probably need to chip in more than 200€.

Hopefully, you'll be able to sell that existing CPU to cover the expenses to some extent.

Regarding VGA, RMA it. It will cost you nothing. It won't be upgraded, though. Only replaced by same model (with a crisp-new warranty ;)).

So let's sum up and close this thread :) Just to solve this problem(not improve my pc speed or anything) i have to change my graphic card?It's the only thing i worry about tbh.I just want to be able to run games, not play in high graphs.

Yes.

Just a thought before this thread is forgotten, did you remove the driver for your old graphics card before installing the new one?

So let's sum up and close this thread :) Just to solve this problem(not improve my pc speed or anything) i have to change my graphic card?It's the only thing i worry about tbh.I just want to be able to run games, not play in high graphs.

Indeed. The quality of GPU's will depreciate over time, it's best to use the warranty when you can. :)

Just a thought before this thread is forgotten, did you remove the driver for your old graphics card before installing the new one?

There is no new one yet, and when it comes it should be same model.

Nevertheless, that is a wise thing to do.. remove the video drivers (add-remove programs) before you shut it down one last time before you yank the VGA out and get it replaced.

Your PSU is only putting out 8.5 volts on the 12 volt rail! A new, good quality PSU may well sort your problem out!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.