Hey everyone. I'm going to be building a new machine soon, and don't really know what fan/heatsink to go for. It's going to have an AMD Phenom 2 quad core black edition CPU, and I've heard they overheat easily (correct me if I'm wrong), and wanted to get someway to keep it cooler. If anyone wants to know what other hardware I'm getting I can list it. Thanks everyone!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

You may aswell list your intended spec.

Some processors come with a heatsink and fan that should be good enough for normal use. Using a different fan than the one provided voids the warranty(at least for the phemon II one I got it did).

Are you intending on overclocking your system?
I used to have an antec one and that was fine. It would depend if you are overclocking, you can spend quite a bit if you want to do some serious cooling.

I have thought about overclocking, but haven't exactly made a decision yet, but my specs are:

(I'll just copy and paste)
Asus M4A79 Deluxe Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Quad Core
TRENDnet TEW-423PI PCI Wireless Adapter - 54Mbps, 802.11g
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy SE
XFX Radeon HD 4650 Video Card - 1024MB DDR2, PCI Express 2.0, CrossFireX, (2) Dual-Link DVI
Hitachi 7K1000.B Hard Drive - 1TB, 7200RPM, 16MB, SATA-300, OEM (2 of these)
LG GH22NS50 DVD Writer - DVD+R 22x, DVD+RW 8X, DVD-RW 6x, DVD-RAM 12x, SATA (OEM)
Windows vista Ultimate 64 bit
and a media card reader I haven't chosen yet.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.