Hi all, hope you are well. I own a Toshiba p100 notebook with vista business. The GPU is an nvidia 7600 geforce go and I have noticed that the fan for the GPU only spins when booting up. The moment Vista begins loading, the fan stops and doesnt come back on until I reboot (again it spins til vista begins loading). Now I can only presume this is a graphics driver issue or a BIOS issue(I have the latest driver and BIOS update). I use rivatuner to monitor the temp and under heavy load (3D gaming) the temp rises to about 90 C. This, I can only presume is not normal! As always, the fan doesnt kick in, even at 90 C. Now I have done some research and it seems this issue is not specific to myself. Under XP (I have tested it) the fan works fine, no overheated GPU. My question (after much rambling lol) is, should I be concerned about the lifespan of a GPU that reaches in excess of 90 C?

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

Any componemt exposed to those tempretures will have its life decreased. As the fan works at boot up I'm guessing it's a software problem - especially as it works on Xp.

Do you have the relavent drivers installed for the GPU? Have you checked it in Device Manager to see whether firstly - it's in there, second if it knows what it is and whether it has the drivers.

Dazza :cool:

(How long ago did you buy it by the way?)

Hi there darrenw89 thanks for the reply. I have triple checked the drivers (got them from the toshiba website) and I am positive they are the correct ones (Toshiba makes it difficult to download incorrect drivers lol). I have had it for about 5 months now btw.

is it worth my time contacting tech support on this matter ?

is it worth my time contacting tech support on this matter ?

yes, or even consider sending it back to Toshiba or who ever you bought it from .Wait to long and the guarantee will be up when it dies completely

ok thank you for the responses you two, I have read on the below forum that apparently you have to "burn in" the gpu. when it gets to 105 C the fan kicks in then works normally. Now that seems a little odd to me to be honest so I am going to contact toshiba I think. Thanks for your time.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=30162&st=1260

if you get no help from them you could always just use XP

some of them are new but i mostly play unreal tourny 2004 (old lol) and command and conquer 3. The performance of these two is great on this machine but I am just concerned about the GPU temp. Many thanks for the replies

have contacted Toshiba, the only thing will offer is a repair. When I explained to them that the fan works fine in XP (as tested by me) they froze and said they were not aware of the problem. Elevated to tech support level 2, will call back tomorrow. They kept insisting that this (my) case is an anomaly, until I directed them at the website I posted above. Hmmmm....

Ive downgraded to XP now, GPU fan works perfectly - I can hear it purring every now and then - Beautiful lol!

Hi all, hope you are well. I own a Toshiba p100 notebook with vista business. The GPU is an nvidia 7600 geforce go and I have noticed that the fan for the GPU only spins when booting up. The moment Vista begins loading, the fan stops and doesnt come back on until I reboot (again it spins til vista begins loading). Now I can only presume this is a graphics driver issue or a BIOS issue(I have the latest driver and BIOS update). I use rivatuner to monitor the temp and under heavy load (3D gaming) the temp rises to about 90 C. This, I can only presume is not normal! As always, the fan doesnt kick in, even at 90 C. Now I have done some research and it seems this issue is not specific to myself. Under XP (I have tested it) the fan works fine, no overheated GPU. My question (after much rambling lol) is, should I be concerned about the lifespan of a GPU that reaches in excess of 90 C?

FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!

Just go back to BIOS version V4.00 and it works great.

FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!

Just go back to BIOS version V4.00 and it works great.

Hi there!

I have a Satellite P100-434 too, and after upgrading the bios my GPU fan stops after the BIOS screen just like yours, this is really annoying from Toshiba to find that it isn't just a single case of the error.

I read that you can fix the problem by downgrading the BIOS again, but, will this work in Vista, and also, (mainly) where can I find the old BIOS', as they aren't posted on the Toshiba website.

Thanks,
Jack

you were suppose to backup the old before doing the new ,for just this reason !

I know!

I planned on but the WinPhlash software just did it without even asking for confirmation!

Is there nothing else I can do?
Do you think that re-formatting the drive and starting over with a fresh copy of Vista would help? (I know it wont do anything to the BIOS but installing all the drivers from scratch could?

I know!

I planned on but the WinPhlash software just did it without even asking for confirmation!

Is there nothing else I can do?
Do you think that re-formatting the drive and starting over with a fresh copy of Vista would help? (I know it wont do anything to the BIOS but installing all the drivers from scratch could?

It might ,give it a try

hi there! sorry to get this out the grave and sorry for my french styled english
my laptop is a p100-383 that have already kill that nvidia 7600

i just change for a new one but i'm in search of information about cooling process because i'm pretty sure that malfunction have kill my old cg and i don't want this to append again

so is there any news about that?
i've update the bios long time ago to the 4.80 and do not find the previous version on toshiba support to test if there's a solution that way

well, everything's fine since I've upgrade BIOS from 4.40 to 4.80
T° is floating between 50° and 63° under benchmark test
which is still high but more acceptable

hope we'll have fan control capability under the so nice speedfan software yet
i just have send a report on this MB to speedfan staff

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.