hey guys ,

i got this problem and searched all over the forums to find a solution but no luck

here it is

My desktop computer wont start its abt 2 years old... was always working fine.. then one day, after i ran all my antivirus for the day and deleted the virus, it stppped to work!!
.. its an Hp a1640n Core 2 Duo , 2 Gb ram, Integrated graph card
The problem is that i turn on the pc, the keyboard/screen lights on for like 1/2 a second then it lights off
I cannot hear any Beeps ( so no BIOS access or anything on the screen )
The fan works properly ( i can hear both of them and i can see them working ) and theres power runing the tower

I tried to remove the RAM, the Hard disk, Reset the BIOS, change RAMS ... no change at all

IMPORTANT NOTE: After 1 month of inactivity, my friend and i tried to turn it on and it worked ( perfectly but was stuck on the anti-virus so we restarted it
and the same problem occured after ) --->>> so i doubt its the Mobo cuz theres no way it would work once if it was fried

sooo.. is this a Mobo problem, or a power supply??
or could it be the power supply isnt well connected ( it worked once! so its not "broken" )

if a mobo is fried, thers no way it would have worked like all of the sudden ( 1 month of inactivity )... right??

if a mobo is broken, it is simply broken and cannot magicly be good again in 1 month ... but not the same wit hPSU?

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

check ALL connections , power supply, and internal cables and cards to mother board ertc;
Will it start in safe mode, (F8 on start up)?
if all fans ok, processor heats up a bit and no beeps it is likely all is okl!
Howver if the video card is loose or if for some reason the video driver is not ok then the whole appears dead. have u anything on the screen tot ell you the screen is ok if not try another moniter.
chk keybd connection.
If u cannot start in safe mode have you got a bootable CD and try that. If those all fail then it seems likely ther eis éa hard disk problem and booting from a CD (ith hard disk disconnected internally will show this up.

If not then it mayu well be a partial power supply or alternatively a boot virus. (try using a msdos boot with no hard disk or cd. if that works then look at the boot area ..
m

check ALL connections , power supply, and internal cables and cards to mother board ertc;
Will it start in safe mode, (F8 on start up)?
if all fans ok, processor heats up a bit and no beeps it is likely all is okl!
Howver if the video card is loose or if for some reason the video driver is not ok then the whole appears dead. have u anything on the screen tot ell you the screen is ok if not try another moniter.
chk keybd connection.
If u cannot start in safe mode have you got a bootable CD and try that. If those all fail then it seems likely ther eis éa hard disk problem and booting from a CD (ith hard disk disconnected internally will show this up.

If not then it mayu well be a partial power supply or alternatively a boot virus. (try using a msdos boot with no hard disk or cd. if that works then look at the boot area ..
m

all connections are ok.. we checked it
wont start in safe mode.. nothing shows on screen .. no beep
i removed the Hard disk already so its not a virus ( or can a virus attack the mobo/powersupply/bios? )
tried to boot with a cd.. no work

we removed the RAM, the hard disk ( minimal use ) and still nothing

1. If no beeps at alland no dispaly and you have not got hard disk (but have some memory installed) and fans on processor are working and some lights (on mobo) are alight then it seems a mobo problem.

ALL computers should at the very least (assuming VDU and video OK) at least beep to say they've tested and produce something onthe screen if only to say no OS! (no Hd).
Sorry it sounds bad news. have you had a storm or run the mobo in hightemperatures.

M

VDU is ok... i have integrated graph card

so a mobo can break up .. the nafter 1 month it works again ( once ) .. then it stop to work again??

so theres chances for repair or i should get a new one?

It not worth repairing a mobo, but doesn't sound like a mobo fault to me, sounds like a CPU, if you start up, with HD plugged in, you should hear the PSU, Fans and HD go on, and see the keyboard light up, If all this is good then the mobo is fine, the beep is produced by the CPU and BIOS, if this is not powered or not working, then you would not hear a beep, this sound like your problem.

Remove the CPU, blow out the dust and reseat, should work, sounds like "chip creep", remember that the RAM should also be in place.

It not worth repairing a mobo, but doesn't sound like a mobo fault to me, sounds like a CPU, if you start up, with HD plugged in, you should hear the PSU, Fans and HD go on, and see the keyboard light up, If all this is good then the mobo is fine, the beep is produced by the CPU and BIOS, if this is not powered or not working, then you would not hear a beep, this sound like your problem.

Remove the CPU, blow out the dust and reseat, should work, sounds like "chip creep", remember that the RAM should also be in place.

yes.. when i turn on the cpu, theres light on the keyboard ( but for like 1 second ) ... then it stop .. the display screen also turns on but turns off after 1 second ..

ill try your technique

The POST only tests power to the Perivirals, so it's normal to have lights for 1sec on the keyboard and the screen comes on and go off.

At least your POST is working wich is a good mobo sighn!

heres an update ...
i sent it to a friend to repair ... we tried switching power supplies but no success ..

however, when i came back home ( after putting back the original power supply ) , it was working!!! i sensed it going a bit slower than usual ...
for abt a week, it went fine ( opening everytime ) but then once in a time, it would do the same problem ( nothing showing on screen, screen turning on when power was on, then screen turning off ( as if power was turned back off ) )

i buypassed that by rebooting and sometimes switching the plugs on the wall.. but lately, it began to work less and less.. and now, it never works .. same problem as b4..

any ideas? :(

Hey Kanzi,

I told you, chip creek, Remove all the components like IDE/ATA/SATA plugs, Sound cards and what ever, remove the RAM and CPU, and plug it back in, You'll see It'll work fine, make sure you clean the dust out with a cloth that doesn't give off static. If i persists after all the above is done (which I don't think it will) then try a PCI/PCI-X screen card.

I think the drive home caused the loose connection to move a bit making it work.

Hi Kanzi,
I suggest to try the following

1) unplug everything from the mobo and leave only the CPU and RAM (unplug any PCI card, PCI-X card, SATA cables, Floppy cable, IDE cable, make sure no USB device is plugged)

2) Turn on the PC.
If there is POST, RESET the PC a couple of (use the RESET button, do not turn it OFF and ON), if continue posting, try to turn it off and after 2 minutes on again. This is to make sure is not PSU related.

If there is NO POST, make sure the PSU is firmly connected. Still no POST, change the PSU, still no luck, swap the RAM and lastly the CPU. Still no POST? You have a dead MoBo.

Remember, turning on the PC and seeing the fans work, doen's mean the PSU is OK.

Hey Kanzi,

I told you, chip creek, Remove all the components like IDE/ATA/SATA plugs, Sound cards and what ever, remove the RAM and CPU, and plug it back in, You'll see It'll work fine, make sure you clean the dust out with a cloth that doesn't give off static. If i persists after all the above is done (which I don't think it will) then try a PCI/PCI-X screen card.

I think the drive home caused the loose connection to move a bit making it work.

theres no signs of dammaged wires or anything

i removed all wires except except the "CPU" ( wat is that? ) and when i remove the ram, it makes an awful noise ( Beeeepppp ) and nothing still appear on the screen

The CPU is the thing that has a fan on metal fins on the motherboard, take the fan off, then the metal fins (heatsink), then shift the lever over and remove the CPU, blow all the dust out and refit. Make sure the CPU and RAM are securely in and try again.

He already changed the outlet he uses for the comp, what else could he try? lol
From what he explained this all started after a virus scan, if that is the case I don't understand how replacing hardware would do anything aside from swapping the HDD and re-loading Windows.

heres an update ...
i sent it to a friend to repair ... we tried switching power supplies but no success ..

however, when i came back home ( after putting back the original power supply ) , it was working!!! i sensed it going a bit slower than usual ...
for abt a week, it went fine ( opening everytime ) but then once in a time, it would do the same problem ( nothing showing on screen, screen turning on when power was on, then screen turning off ( as if power was turned back off ) )

i buypassed that by rebooting and sometimes switching the plugs on the wall.. but lately, it began to work less and less.. and now, it never works .. same problem as b4..

any ideas? :(

Try what Fearless Fourie ask. It could be the problem but one thing that is questionable is this all started when you ran an anti virus scan and then removed a virus. It appears there may be a connection between the removal of the virus and your problem. Sometimes when a certain type of virus is removed if it was a virus it could have attached itself to a file and the antivirus removal also removed the file.

Hi members.............................................................................................
The CPU is the thing that has a fan on metal fins on the motherboard, take the fan off, then the metal fins (heatsink), then shift the lever over and remove the CPU, blow all the dust out and refit. Make sure the CPU and RAM . ..................................................................................................
BY regards
anglish080
formore information click here

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.