I have a T3042 e-machine, my computer will suddenly crash and go blank and make this alarm noise that sounds like an english patty-wagon and shutting it off doesn't stop it I have to unplug it and wait until it finally subsides. I thought it was because my old hard drive was full so I installed a 650 mg harddrive and it still will crash on occasion. I then got a small fan and installed it in the computer compartment-thinking it was over heating-It still crashes on occasion, usually when I have been on it for sometime and/or have numerous programs running. What does that alarm signify and is there a fix to my problem?

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

Anyone have any ideas on this?

you are running too many programs at the same time. Also, you might be playing PC games for extended periods without saving often. Also, your graphics ram may not be able to handle excessive video use like games, video etc.

What video ram, Ram, PSU wattage do you use?

Can you specify what programs you have running at the same time?

you are running too many programs at the same time. Also, you might be playing PC games for extended periods without saving often. Also, your graphics ram may not be able to handle excessive video use like games, video etc.

What video ram, Ram, PSU wattage do you use?

Can you specify what programs you have running at the same time?

It crashed once while playing yahoo chess, but most of the time its just in intrnet explorer,although many times I have more than one copy open and I usually keep my outlook express mail open as I use computer. As for the wattages you asked about, I dont know anything about them or how to find out what they are. Can they be changed/fixed if I'm told how to locate them?

Hi,
Can you describe the noise a little better, is it beeps? If so how many (three short one long etc)?
What is the sound if it is not beeps?
Can you determine where it is coming from, your speakers or a part in your PC?
Your wattage is written on a plate on the power supply where you plug your mains power into the PC, it will be 250W 300W....
Do you know how much RAM you have in your PC? If you do not know what RAM is, go here:-
http://www.ncsu.edu/antivirus/troubleshooting/ram.php
Do you have a video card?
If so what is it?
Are all your fans working, power supply, CPU, case, video card?
Is the inside of your PC full of dust? If so, use compressed air if you can and a new paint brush and give it all a good clean.
If you do not know about something I have asked, just go to google and search for information about it on the net.

Hi,
Can you describe the noise a little better, is it beeps? If so how many (three short one long etc)?
What is the sound if it is not beeps?
Can you determine where it is coming from, your speakers or a part in your PC?
Your wattage is written on a plate on the power supply where you plug your mains power into the PC, it will be 250W 300W....
Do you know how much RAM you have in your PC? If you do not know what RAM is, go here:-
http://www.ncsu.edu/antivirus/troubleshooting/ram.php
Do you have a video card?
If so what is it?
Are all your fans working, power supply, CPU, case, video card?
Is the inside of your PC full of dust? If so, use compressed air if you can and a new paint brush and give it all a good clean.
If you do not know about something I have asked, just go to google and search for information about it on the net.

The noise is like an old paddy wagon-- da-daaa da-daaa da daaa and will continue even after shut off until its been unplugged for about a minute.It comes from the computer.The video card is a nvidia Gforce4. It has 448 Ram. I didnt find a watt plate near plug, but found a sticker that said rated 100-127/200-240v 60/50hz 6.0/30a. I put an extra fan inside, even tho the original still was working, when I installed it I cleaned out all the dust. i hope that helps.

It is unusual for the machine to crash then start beeping. If there was a problem the beeping would start at boot up and wouldn't let you boot up at all.

I think one of your modules (chips) on your ram has shorted. When the upper limit of the ram is reached, or required for use, the memory is corrupted and it is deemed as a fault. It is possible that both of your Ram is faulty. Usually you should get a blue screen that says
x000x0066 (whatever number) can not be read.

Hi,
Check your "event log" maybe there is an answer there.

It is unusual for the machine to crash then start beeping. If there was a problem the beeping would start at boot up and wouldn't let you boot up at all.

I think one of your modules (chips) on your ram has shorted. When the upper limit of the ram is reached, or required for use, the memory is corrupted and it is deemed as a fault. It is possible that both of your Ram is faulty. Usually you should get a blue screen that says
x000x0066 (whatever number) can not be read.

no blue screen with numbers, but it does seem to come after a lot of use time

Hi,
Check your "event log" maybe there is an answer there.

reply Ill have to wait until it happens again to check the event log. how do I check the "log" I'm running windows EXP home edition ?

I would say that you are possibly playing PC games and not saving often enough, too much extended play and playing for long periods of time without a break or letting your computer take a cool down break.

If this is the case, don't play games for more than 4 hours, save every 20 minutes, and stop after four hours and shut down for a cool down period of about half an hour.

You could possibly be having problems with the video card. Too much excessive use can "overlad" the video memory and cause a shut down.

Hi Jupiter 2,
Should I take that advice, I own a internet cafe where the PCs are running online games for up to 16 hours straight every day. Should I shut down my cafe for 30 minutes every 4 hours to let the PCs cool down?
I would not want my video cards to be overloaded and shut down.

Bob_180_Bob Posting Shonk - since you are not the original Asker my answer has no relevance to you. However, if you are having problems then you should start a new thread.
Here is my advice to you - Try to monitor the PC's that are causing the problems then make those ones only suitable for browsing or Office product usage. Some internet cafes allow Office product usage on separate machines, in the corner, or as well as internet.

Your only alternative is to replace the computers with other ones. Most Internet Cafes have up to date computers at least P4 2.6ghz. If you are running less than this then you have to upgrade or limit usage on those computers that are giving you problems.

If there are gamers playing then set aside an area that is for gaming only and use your better computers for PC Games.

Bob_180_Bob Posting Shonk - since you are not the original Asker my answer has no relevance to you. However, if you are having problems then you should start a new thread.
Here is my advice to you - Try to monitor the PC's that are causing the problems then make those ones only suitable for browsing or Office product usage. Some internet cafes allow Office product usage on separate machines, in the corner, or as well as internet.

Your only alternative is to replace the computers with other ones. Most Internet Cafes have up to date computers at least P4 2.6ghz. If you are running less than this then you have to upgrade or limit usage on those computers that are giving you problems.

If there are gamers playing then set aside an area that is for gaming only and use your better computers for PC Games.

There is no need to get nasty,
You offered the poster advice on only using his PC for a short time and then let it rest. I have no problems with any of my PCs and they run flat out with online gaming up to 16 hours a day every day. They are all up-to-date PCs or the players would go to where they have up-to-date PCs. They are all fast gaming machines that are sometime used for other things other than gaming.
I asked you if I should stop the players from using my (working well) PCs for 30 mins every 4 hours. Should I get them to save every 20 minutes (Save, I don't know what when playing an online game).
You advised the poster that it could be his problem, I don't have oa problem with mine but as you have all the good advice I was asking you if I, and everyone else should only use their PCs for 4 hours then shut them down for 30 minutes to let them rest.
You had better contact any business that uses PCs in their business that they will have to close their business every 4 hours so that their PCs can rest.
Quote "Since you are not the original poster my answer has no relevance to you"
As I understand, anyone with a problem similar to the poster can search for an answer, and finding the answer on a post here would be able to help others. Therefore, your answer has relevance to everyone that has, and will read this thread.

A message from Bob_180_Bob to me. As he does not allow message replies, I've had to resort to put my reply in this forum, in this question, as it refers to this Question.

Idiot or actor?
1 Hour Ago
Are you a complete idiot or just acting. Either way you put on a good show. You come up with some of the silliest ideas in your posts and I believe that you think you are helping people.

Shut down your PC for 30 minutes every 4 hours!! Where did you find that in Microsoft's site?
Save every 20 minutes when playing on-line games....save what?
You could have a miss-match or RAM... it has been working well before but the RAM is now miss-matched....
You have the wrong video card, yes I know that you video is OK and that is not your problem, but if you put a a Samsung TV card in your Honda motorcycle you will have conflicts....
I don't know why you are reading this post it was not for you...
I feel sorry for you, you have some need to express yourself but you have nothing to say so you just say whatever you feel like...

My reply -
Your opinions have very little worth to me. People have the option to take note or ignore my answers. It is not up to to decide what is rigfht or wrong.

The Question was about one computer, not an internet cafe full of computers.

Ram chips can short. You can use the ram to a certain level when the computer "cannot read memory". Perhaps you have not encountered that problem?

Video Cards have memory issues. Some Nvidia cards are not compatible with AMD mainboards,as ATI is the preferred video card.

I made you some suggestions for your internet cafe as they are implemented in most internet cafes in Australia.

My answer is appropriate and is not up to you to decide if it is right or wrong. You can just give a reputation arrrow down if you feel my answer is worthless, in your opinion.

The question is still unresolved so even your suggestion has not been deemed as a solution.

I've been using computers for 20 years and have 15 computers myself that I experiment with. I have come across the problems as I have suggested.

All answers in the forum do not refer to all computer problems. It is up to the Asker to decide which answer is best. I already have 19 solved Questions so I can't be that wrong.

Larryd- Sorry, I seem to have been distracted for a while.

If the beeping doesn't start for a while then perhaps, as a guess, it could be your ram. You say you have 448 mb Ram? This is SD-Ram? Are they identical or different brands?

The video card is only 64mb? Run dxdiag to get the specs of your computer. Click the Display tab to show the details.

I think the Power Supply is 300 Watts.

Have you resolved your question or is it still open for "debate"?

Larryd- Sorry, I seem to have been distracted for a while.

If the beeping doesn't start for a while then perhaps, as a guess, it could be your ram. You say you have 448 mb Ram? This is SD-Ram? Are they identical or different brands?

The video card is only 64mb? Run dxdiag to get the specs of your computer. Click the Display tab to show the details.

I think the Power Supply is 300 Watts.

Have you resolved your question or is it still open for "debate"?

here is that page. the machine makes noise and crashes, but this only happens sometimes-

Time of this report: 11/11/2009, 14:16:04
Machine name: DAHLKA
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090804-1435)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gateway
System Model: T3042
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) 3000+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.0GHz
Memory: 448MB RAM
Page File: 533MB used, 524MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
Display Tab 1: The file nv4_disp.dll is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.
Sound Tab 1: The file nvapu.sys is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.
Music Tab: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.
Network Tab: No problems found.

--------------------

On the Display tab, it shows you the Video Card Ram. I'm assuming it is only 64 mb.

AMD Sempron(tm) 3000+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.0GHz

You only have 448mb Ram but a 2ghz CPU. You need to upgrade to about 1gb Ram for better performance and 128mb Video card. 2gb Ram is better. 448mb ram is an odd mix, assuming you use 3 sticks, 1 x 256mb, 1 x 128mb, 1 x 64mb. It will be very difficult to get SD-Ram, only at computer swap meets or maybe on internet. You need 2 x 1gb ram or 2 x 500mb Ram.

Some people may disagree but AMD prefers an ATI Video Card rather than Nvidia. There are problems with crashing with Nvidia on AMD.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.