Computer was working fine, lights went out and then know all I get is bios, a bunch of dollar signs and vistas please wait screen after 10 to 15 minutes I get the blue screen of death. I think it is virus, maleware or bad video card any body have a idea.

Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Alxandro

Press the "esc" key during booting and you should be able to see additional information.

You'll probably need to download a Vista recovery DVD.
See http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?p=622

Look under the heading "Getting the ISO".

Burn it to a DVD using "ISO Recorder". Boot from it, then do the following:

-Click "Next"
-Click "Repair your computer"
Microsoft Windows Vista should show up. If not, let me know.
-Click "Next"
-Click "Command Prompt"

type the following:

>chkdsk c: /f /r

when that finishes type:

>bootrec /FixMBR
>bootrec /FixBoot

>exit

Eject your dvd and click "Restart".

Edited by cgeier: n/a

How did you "try reformatting"? What exactly have you done? I suppose that it is possible that a power spike occured and if you weren't using a surge protector that it caused damage to your computer. But let's check out some other things first.

I reformatted from recovery dvd and recovery partition. I tried both ways. Tried to install windows vista but now it will not finish, I know this because I tried to go into safe mode and it said that windows installation not completed. What should I try next?

You probably didn't let it finish. Not sure about Sony's recovery process, but I recovered my computer with recovery disks from another manufacturer and it took 4-6 hrs. It may reboot multiple times during this process and it may appear to be finished, but it won't be finished until it either says it's finished or you get a message saying welcome to Windows.

A bunch of dollar signs?

That's just the amount of money you could have saved by switching to Geico.
Have you ever felt like someboby is watching you?

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.