Hello all...

I have a problem with my laptop battery not wanting to charge all the time. I have one or two ideas and what to run them by some other folks and get their opinion.

Background info:
Toshiba Satellite 3005-S304 - (1 GHz machine with XP home installed)
I bought the machine new back around 2001. All equipment is original (including the battery) except for the power supply. The old power supply cord was kinked and caused the battery/laptop to flip between A/C power and battery power. After living with the problem for many months I purchased a "used OEM" power supply on eBay a few months ago. The laptop has been reliable with no major or minor problems until a few months go, right around the time of the used power supply, but I think it is coincidence.

Problem:
The battery does not consistently charge. It does not mater if the laptop is on or off. What happens when I plug in the A/C power the charging light on the laptop with quickly turn on then within 5 seconds (sometimes within 5 min) the light will turn off. Curiously I hear a faint buzz/zap noise from inside the laptop. This noise only last half a second and happens at the same time the charger light turns off. This little noise I believe is telling me something but I don’t have the expertise to know what it’s telling me. Do you know or have a fix? By the way, during this whole time the A/C light on the laptop is lighted. Therefore it’s still getting power.

I checked the power supply with a volt meter and looks to be good.

Here is what I think, what do you think?
I think the source of the problem is either the battery or the laptop, but I guess any idiot could have suggested to two most obvious possibilities but I have state it anyway.

I am leaning towards the battery. First the battery is about 5 years old. It’s been well used over that time. I think I have beaten up the battery (memory issue) with the failing A/C power supply by cycling the laptop to A/C and battery for many months. My guess is this strange little noise coming from inside the laptop is a sensor switch flipping from battery to A/C??? Does that sound reasonable to someone?

Is the sensor in the battery or the laptop? I hope it’s the battery, they cost a lot less then a new laptop.

BTW, the battery still holds a pretty good charge 1.5+hrs. I’ll probably try the memory trick by fully draining the battery and then recharging several times.

Anyone got another idea or suggestion???

Thanks for your help and reading this loooong post.

Henchman

Hello all...

I have a problem with my laptop battery not wanting to charge all the time. I have one or two ideas and what to run them by some other folks and get their opinion.

Background info:
Toshiba Satellite 3005-S304 - (1 GHz machine with XP home installed)
I bought the machine new back around 2001. All equipment is original (including the battery) except for the power supply. The old power supply cord was kinked and caused the battery/laptop to flip between A/C power and battery power. After living with the problem for many months I purchased a "used OEM" power supply on eBay a few months ago. The laptop has been reliable with no major or minor problems until a few months go, right around the time of the used power supply, but I think it is coincidence.

Problem:
The battery does not consistently charge. It does not mater if the laptop is on or off. What happens when I plug in the A/C power the charging light on the laptop with quickly turn on then within 5 seconds (sometimes within 5 min) the light will turn off. Curiously I hear a faint buzz/zap noise from inside the laptop. This noise only last half a second and happens at the same time the charger light turns off. This little noise I believe is telling me something but I don’t have the expertise to know what it’s telling me. Do you know or have a fix? By the way, during this whole time the A/C light on the laptop is lighted. Therefore it’s still getting power.

I checked the power supply with a volt meter and looks to be good.

Here is what I think, what do you think?
I think the source of the problem is either the battery or the laptop, but I guess any idiot could have suggested to two most obvious possibilities but I have state it anyway.

I am leaning towards the battery. First the battery is about 5 years old. It’s been well used over that time. I think I have beaten up the battery (memory issue) with the failing A/C power supply by cycling the laptop to A/C and battery for many months. My guess is this strange little noise coming from inside the laptop is a sensor switch flipping from battery to A/C??? Does that sound reasonable to someone?

Is the sensor in the battery or the laptop? I hope it’s the battery, they cost a lot less then a new laptop.

BTW, the battery still holds a pretty good charge 1.5+hrs. I’ll probably try the memory trick by fully draining the battery and then recharging several times.

Anyone got another idea or suggestion???

Thanks for your help and reading this loooong post.

Henchman

its not the longest i've seen. ok heres my suggestion. this looks to me like a power supply or motherboard problem. no computer should be making a zapping noise at all. secondly by all means get another battery. laptop batteries are not designed to last anymore then 3 years and are older type rechargables. the newer ones dont have a memory in them.:)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.