Hey
I just replaced a motherboard in a dell gx620. put all the components in and it fires up but I cannot log in. it responds to Cnt Alt DEL to accesss the login ( and will recognise cap lock on etc) but when I try to type a password (or username) it just beeps and does not type characters. is there some security to windows (XP PRO) that is on the old hard drive that is locking me out?
appreciate your response...

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Hi,
It sounds like you could have a bad install of your driver, go to the "device manager" (Click Start, click Run, and then type "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotation marks) find the driver and uninstall it. Reboot your PC and let windows reinstall the driver again.

Hi,
It sounds like you could have a bad install of your driver, go to the "device manager" (Click Start, click Run, and then type "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotation marks) find the driver and uninstall it. Reboot your PC and let windows reinstall the driver again.

hey Bob
thanks for the reply, the problem is I cannot get past the loggin. I cannot type a username or password. when it comes up it has my username but I cannot enter my password nor can I change the username. i can delete the characters but cannot enter new ones, so I dont have access to the "start, run" pathway to "devmgmt.msc".

OK, try this, I assume you have a USB keyboard, boot up the pC without the keyboard plugged in and then plug in after a full boot up
Allow windows to find and install the keyboard and then try again.
Other than that I can not think of a way to help you without doing a repair/install.
Try the keyboard bit and if no good, post back, maybe someone else here can come up with an idea to help you. If you decide to do a repair/install look here if you do not know how.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

OK, try this, I assume you have a USB keyboard, boot up the pC without the keyboard plugged in and then plug in after a full boot up
Allow windows to find and install the keyboard and then try again.
Other than that I can not think of a way to help you without doing a repair/install.
Try the keyboard bit and if no good, post back, maybe someone else here can come up with an idea to help you. If you decide to do a repair/install look here if you do not know how.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

well the boot up without the keyboard had no effect. guess it is down to reinstall disks... really didn't want to redo the whole drive. Oh well, such is the nature of the beast. thanks for your help!!

No need to do the whole drive just the windows installation with a repair/installation. Check out the site I gave you. You will lose all SPs and updates since your CD was produced.
This is the perfect time to slipstream your OS CD with SP3, the latest hot fixes, your PC drivers, Windows serial number plus a whole host of other helps. There are many sites that will show you how.

You can reinstall but just do an Upgrade so you don't lose anything. Don't change any other option, like format drive.

sooooooolvvvvvved

So for anyone with keyboard problem check :
In Windows XP : control panel-> accessibility options -> keyboard : StickyKeys and Filterkeys checkboxes should be unchecked.

BEST REGARDES
ANY QUESTION ABOUT ANY PROBLEM CONTUCT ME ON
MAGIC-2005@HOTMAIL.COM

Good to hear you got it repaired and came back to tell us and tell us how to fix a similar problem. others reading this thread later will get some good information form your efforts.
Please mark this thread as solved.

hello folks i read your thread (no pun) i had the same problem and found under the memory accress panel of my dell 1545 that theres 5 metal lockout switches i removed the cover and replaced it bingo alls well in laptop heaven

driver problem sir.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.