Hey guys,

Alright im trying to build a gaming computer and I want to get all the parts ordered by Tuesday. I havent had luck with other sites on helping me setup a decent system, so im trying here. I have a sense of what I want, but im not sure on somethings. Im basically a noob to computer building that wants to overclock. Heres how she looks... I wouldnt mind trying to save some money but if not thats okay.

Asus Striker Extreme (Good with SLI?)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core Processor
BFG GeForce 8800GTS OC2 580MHZ 640MB 1.7GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E
Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme
Scythe S-Flex SFF21F/E (1200rpm) (x2)
Mushkin XP PC2-6400 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-12 - (will this RAM work for that MoBo? What OZ RAM would you guys ecommend?)
Corsair TX750W 750W ATX 12V Power Supply
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition
Sound Blaster X-FI Xtremegamer FATAL1TY Sound Card 7.1 PCI
Western Digital Raptor 150GB Sata 10KRPM
Antec 900 Case
D-Link DGL-4500 Wireless Gaming Router (This computer will not be the host computer for the router? What adapter would work good with this router? ps I have to go wireless :(

What do you guys think?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Mobo is a beast, maybe overkill. Do make sure the Quad core will work with it, check Asus' website carefully (and specifically the BIOS version requirement list which lists is the actual list of supported CPUs, not the list in the manual (that's currently biting me, manual hints CPU should work, BIOS list says it doesn't).

Don't know the cooler. I purchased an Asus Silent Knight (you'd need a Silent Knight II I think). A beast, rather expensive, but very very good and you likely won't need those 2 chassis fans.

For the RAM check the mobo specs. I'd go for Kingston myself, if you're building a system with the other components you're looking at.

PSU may be overkill, which can cause heat trouble. Think 600W.

Get the roomiest, largest, case you can get. Can't find that case with my dealer. Their P190 looks nice (and comes with 2 PSUs as standard, a 650 for the motherboard and a 550 to power things like harddisks and DVD drives).

I'm looking at a new comp. soon too, so I've been doing some research (in other words this is just 2nd hand info).

I'd ditch the X-Fi sound card. While nice, a 680i mobo will have good sound capabilities already (thogh only the Abit is X-fi I think).

Think about an 8800GT, which is cheaper than the 'old' GTS and beats it in most tests (runs a bit hotter though as it's single slot). I say 'old' GTS because there's new one out very soon with a few extra stream processors or something.

I'm probably getting an eVGA 680i A1 as a mobo, but that's mainly because of the excellent customer service reviews I've heard. The Striker is definitely more extreme :icon_evil:

I don't know about RAM, I'm looking for more info myself. Everything else in your setup looks very similar to what I've settled on.

corsair and ocz ram will work with juat about anything, i have 4 gigs of ocz with and asus board and vista. works like a champ. just remember than when you load vista you can only have 2 gigs of ram in. also, i've heard good things about asus's new sound card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132001

it's not a money saver, but if you plan on using your rig as a media station it's something to consider.

if you're looking for a case with more than enough room, look at lian-li's 2000 series, a70 series, or cooler master's cosmos (i own this beast, wouln't give it up for anything).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.