Hey everyone,

I have a 1,5 year old pc (intel dual core E8400 3.0Ghz, 4 gb ram, Nvidia 8800GT, XP sp3)
A month ago he started to have nv4_disp.dll errors. When i play a game for 5 to 60 minutes, the screen freezes and the textures get messed up (but the sound is ok). After a minute or so, i see the desktop again in 640*480 resolution with 4 colours and the message the image functionality (don't know the exact translation in English) doesn't work due to nv4_disp.dll and i need to restart to restore the old settings.

I've already did a clean install of windows XP. (i don't see exclamation or question marks in the system management file)
I've updated all my drivers.
I've cleaned my cooler.
I've disabled the card's hardware accelerator, but then i can't game anymore.

I hope somebody knows the answers, but thanx anyway.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Check that the "nv4_disp.dll" is not duplicated in the C:/Windows/System32 folder.
If it is remove all but the latest.
Good Luck.

there is only one nv4_disp.dll so that's not it :s

Hi,
Try This-
Uninstall Nvidia Drivers.
Restart.
Remove any Nvidia folders from the C: Drive- if present.
Run regedit
Backup (export) registry
Find "Nvidia"
Remove references to "Nvidia" or "Nvidia Corporation" folders.
Restart.
Re-install latest Nvidia Drivers.
Restart.

Hope this helps.

I did every step you'd said, but ones i installed the new drivers again, i got an error that the physX couldn't open (cplui.exe not found)
and also it didn't solve my problem.

Then i installed an older driver, 182.50 (I've read that for some it was the last driver without problems)

But it also didn't help :s

It's a driver problem. Although I have not heard this happening to Windows XP systems, it's a bit more common for Vista and Windows 7 systems.

Have you tried installing the driver that's in the disc that comes with the card? It might be that the updated drivers do not work well with your card.

You can try this solution i found here

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.