the other day, i dug up my old hp pavillion 6640c with the intention of turning it into a basic ssh server. i hooked it up, and turned it on all seemed well except there was no image on screen. so i tore it apart.

it currently has:
motherboard (asus p5s-vm)
ram (64mb unnamed ram) (tested on another machine)
processor (AMD k6)
power supply (400w icute 20 pin)
vga monitor (also tested on another machine)

it sounds like it's booting up. with the proc' fan going. but there is no display or power/hd lights. There is also no beeps.

i have checked that the ram is in DIMM1 and is the correct type.

if anyone has an idea on how to get this thing working, it would be very much appreciated

Try to connect it to a LCD/CRT display.
And please write in details:
"seemed well except there was no image on screen"

i have tried both an lcd and a crt.. the same ones that i'm presantly using to post this.

with everything hooked up (hd, cd drive, lan card etc) it made all the usual sounds of drives and fans spinning up. just no video.

i have also just noticed that the power light doesn't come on

Where there added any new components lately? Or a new components?
Because it could be, that the laptop has not enough power to supply the "new" device. It can be also a HDD, CD....

Also the CPU could be burned.

It is hard to tell.

i have tried both an lcd and a crt.. the same ones that i'm presantly using to post this.

with everything hooked up (hd, cd drive, lan card etc) it made all the usual sounds of drives and fans spinning up. just no video.

i have also just noticed that the power light doesn't come on

it seemed like a burnt proc to me, but it worked fine last time i had it out.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.