I've never seen this before and I wasn't able to find any information on it in the 10 minutes that I checked so I thought I'd check here.

What I got:

ASUS M2N32-SLI DLX WIFI AM2
2- EVGA 8800GTX in SLI

I think that's all that's relevant. The problem is that after the BIOS the screen goes black for a second like it's going to boot into Windows but instead I get this scary multi colored pixeled screen with a flashing cursor in the top left corner. And this isn't the entire screen that's pixeled it's scattered, maybe 10 1/4" pixels all different colors, some are even shaped like characters.

I've checked all connections, removed one card, then the other. Still get the same result.

HELP!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

That is a classic sign of a graphics card on it's way out I'm afraid. Replacement is the one and only solution.

That is a classic sign of a graphics card on it's way out I'm afraid. Replacement is the one and only solution.

I had dual 8800GTX cards in it, I took 1 out and booted from the card #2, same result. I took card #2 out and put card #1 back in and booted, same result. I took both cards out and put in a spare 8600 and booted, same result.

I can't get a screen cap since I can't boot but here is a better description:

-blinking cursor in the upper left corner
-purple pixel with a 6 next to it in the upper right corner
-orange pixel with a 6 next to it 3 lines down and 4 spaces to the left
-blue blinking vertical line on the far right side about half way down
-1/2 of a purple H towards the bottom

??????????????????WTF

Another piece of the puzzle:

I popped in my Windows CD and it booted into the installation fine, no problem at all.

Oh, I'm running Vista 64 bit

Could Windows cause a problem like this?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.