I have a sony vgn s-260 that i replaced the hard drive. It will power up, the cd drive turns but then everything stops. I get no start up of the screen. For a while it seemed if i pressed f8 while it was starting i could get it going but now that does not work. I just bought recovery discs for it but as I can not get the machine to boot up I get no where. Any ideas on how to get it to boot up? Was working fine when I turned it off last time

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I have a sony vgn s-260 that i replaced the hard drive. It will power up, the cd drive turns but then everything stops. I get no start up of the screen. For a while it seemed if i pressed f8 while it was starting i could get it going but now that does not work. I just bought recovery discs for it but as I can not get the machine to boot up I get no where. Any ideas on how to get it to boot up? Was working fine when I turned it off last time

Oh Boy! There could be a number of probs. Firstly can you get to the bios on start up (usually pressing F1, del or whatgever!). If so does the new hard disk appear in the boot order as automatically detected? If not then you will have to enter it manually!
Secondly does the new hard disk have a MBB (master boot record) as it <ill not boot anything unless there is a boot record. if you havez formlatted the disk (some cme sqithout format) then you havbe to ensure there, is a MBR. This ca

Oh Boy! There could be a number of probs. Firstly can you get to the bios on start up (usually pressing F1, del or whatgever!). If so does the new hard disk appear in the boot order as automatically detected? If not then you will have to enter it manually! ie does the bios know the new hard disk is there?
Secondly does the new hard disk have a MBR (master boot record) as it will not boot anything unless there is a boot record (MBR for windows, GRUB for linux). if you have formatted the disk (some come without format) then you have to ensure there, is a MBR. This ca[/QUO
oopssorry pressed the wrong key! Using a recovery disk / original windows disk or FDISK /MBR can replace the MBR.
Failing all this have you a linux or other boot cd disk (original or windows recovery disk) that can get the machine started?

All the above should at least get the machine back on its feet..!
BOL
M

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.