My power supply fan went out so the 3.3v would jump up to ~4v . So I bought a new 550watt from amamax.com (the cheap $17 one). I threw her in and she worked like a charm. I smelled some burning when I came home hte other day but my case didn't "smell" like the source, so I figured another monitor was on it's way out. Then a heard the wonderful fizzle fizzle POP! sound. And my computer was turned off, but the light on the mobo was still on. I tried to turn it back on for kicks and teh fans would spin once then stop and nothing would happen. I pulled the power supply out and tried one from another machine, power but no boot up. Pulled out my sound card and WOW! She fried! The POP! sound I heard was one of the cylinder things shooting into the side of my case. I left the soundcard out and the system booted right up with the temp power supply.

Ok so my sound card's fried and the new 550watt power supply smokes if you try to power it up. So who killed who? If it was the power suuply frying my sound card I'm going to kill amamax.com, if it was the other way around, I'll just be quiet ;)

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

My power supply fan went out so the 3.3v would jump up to ~4v . So I bought a new 550watt from amamax.com (the cheap $17 one). I threw her in and she worked like a charm. I smelled some burning when I came home hte other day but my case didn't "smell" like the source, so I figured another monitor was on it's way out. Then a heard the wonderful fizzle fizzle POP! sound. And my computer was turned off, but the light on the mobo was still on. I tried to turn it back on for kicks and teh fans would spin once then stop and nothing would happen. I pulled the power supply out and tried one from another machine, power but no boot up. Pulled out my sound card and WOW! She fried! The POP! sound I heard was one of the cylinder things shooting into the side of my case. I left the soundcard out and the system booted right up with the temp power supply.

Ok so my sound card's fried and the new 550watt power supply smokes if you try to power it up. So who killed who? If it was the power suuply frying my sound card I'm going to kill amamax.com, if it was the other way around, I'll just be quiet ;)

A cheap but "powerful" PSU aren't all that they're cracked up to be.

It probably didn't put out enough sustained voltage to power everything in your case.

You want a quality PSU. I recommend an Antec.

But talk to amamax since you just bought the PSU, they'll probably replace your sound card.

Did you check everything else? If one thing goes, it probably fried a few other things.

The power supply killed the card. Never use a cheap PS. Cheap ones don't have the same safeguards built in to them to protect hardware in case of failure.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.