Member Avatar for ingeborgdot@yah

My friends computer just went. Nothing on the screen, won't boot etc. I have checked memory, vid card, etc. I know it must be the hdd because I put one of my hdd in and it started to boot. Different drivers so some things would not work but that showed the vid card worked along with everything else except the hdd. My problem is the hdd works when I attach it to my computer. I can see all the folders etc. I tried to clone and see if that would work but when I put it into their computer it would not boot. When I did a clone one screen came up and said it could not read some sector. What can I do now that the old hdd is cloned? I did keep all info on the old hdd also. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You didn't note the OS so I'll assume XP. See if it'll boot with the OEM (XP) disc. If you can get that far you can do a (R)epair instead of a new install.
The bad sector on the original drive probably had critical OS boot information that wasn't corrected with the cloning. Not exact but a safe bet.
Some advice that I give others under the circumstances, get what you can off of a failing drive while you can then ditch the drive or floppy disk.
Bad sectors, read errors, etc. on any drive is a sure sign of a failing drive. Repartition/Formats may be able to work around for a while but is usually not worth the effort.

Member Avatar for ingeborgdot@yah

No repair possible. Would not work.

"Some advice that I give others under the circumstances, get what you can off of a failing drive while you can then ditch the drive or floppy disk."

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.