My computer died. It was a very old machine. It was running Windows 98. It was a Gateway. There is data on it that I want to recover; I don't remember the file names. I took it to a computer repair shop. Since I don't remember the file names, they have to open all the folders to recovery the data. It will be costly. Is there any way I can recover this data myself?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

My computer died. It was a very old machine. It was running Windows 98. It was a Gateway. There is data on it that I want to recover; I don't remember the file names. I took it to a computer repair shop. Since I don't remember the file names, they have to open all the folders to recovery the data. It will be costly. Is there any way I can recover this data myself?

sure,just slave it to another computer ,just open other computer after you shut it down and unplug it ,to slave the drive make sure jumper on back of the drive is set to slave and add it to the same ribbon cable as the cdrom .
boot computer and go to mycomputer and it should show as a 2nd harddrive ,then you can search for files and copy and paste them to the computers main hard drive or a thumb drive ,good luck

Thanks for the reply. This solution is beyond my level of expertise.

I am a newbie; I do not feel comfortable opening up my computer.

Any other suggestions?

use any file recovery software.

use any file recovery software.

the computer is not working ,how do you suggest he/they use file recovery software .

Thanks for the reply. This solution is beyond my level of expertise.

I am a newbie; I do not feel comfortable opening up my computer.

Any other suggestions?

soor ,that it ,thats what the computer shop was going to do ,and charge you ,so that your 2 options ,do it yourself or pay someone to do it ,sorry

sorry for that. I didn't read his topic properly.

jems, caperjack is right

whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right

so open the case and look inside
its easier than you think it will be
there are utube videos on howto remove a drive

the power cables have polarised connectors so they only fit 1 way
data cables are striped on one end, connect the cables the same way round as you take them off
If after opening it and having a look, it still seems beyond you, then take it to the shop knowing at least what they are going to do
If the drive isnt karked, only the motherboard, this repair is pisseasy
there are utube videos on howto remove a drive

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.