Hi!!

I've spent the past several days trying to figure out my sound problem and have came to the conclusion it has something to do with the modem, it's a voice wave modem for fax machines and such, but I do not use those devices. when windows start I can hear window sounds and can even go in sound properties and play any sound, when I connect to the internet (dialup) I can hear the modem dialing the number over the speakers, once an internet connection has been made I lose sounds all together and when I click on a sound in sound properties while connected to the net I get an error message that my sound card may already be in use which I'm assuming by the modem, as soon as the modem disconnects from the net all sounds are restored. I've ran out of ideas and am seeking the help of anyone, I'm attaching information about my computer,hardware,etc. that may be helpful in helping me further:

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows 98
OS Service Pack -
DirectX 4.05.01.9800 (DirectX 5.2)

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium IIIE, 600 MHz (4.5 x 133)
Motherboard Name Dell OptiPlex GX110
Motherboard Chipset Intel Whitney i810E
System Memory 256 MB (SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (01/22/03)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA) (64 KB)
3D Accelerator Intel i752
Monitor Compaq S510 [15" CRT] (037BB28ND224)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Creative SB PCI128 (Ensoniq ES1371) Sound Card

Storage:
IDE Controller Primary IDE controller (single fifo)
IDE Controller Secondary IDE controller (single fifo)
IDE Controller Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller
IDE Controller Standard IDE/ESDI Hard Disk Controller
Floppy Drive GENERIC NEC FLOPPY DISK
Disk Drive GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE55
Optical Drive Lite-On LTN483S 48x Max (48x CD-ROM)
SMART Hard Disks Status Unknown

Partitions:
C: (FAT32) 8698 MB (6586 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port

Network:
Network Adapter PPP Adapter. (x.xxx.xxx.xxx)
Modem PCI SoftV92 Modem

Peripherals:
USB1 Controller Intel 82801AA I/O Controller Hub - USB Controller [B-1]
USB Device Deskjet D1300 series

Thanks in advance and all help is greatfully appreciated,
Nikki

*FYI the PCI ethernet controller is under unknown device in device manager and I have yet to find drivers for if that matters in this situation to solve the sound issue.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I'd assume that you've given up on this or have solved it in some way.
Modems & sound cards frequently use the same IRQ (interupts), one or the other would need to be changed.

do you have on board sound? if so try using that for now and see if your sound works while you are connected. if you have sound while on the Internet when you use on board sound, then you either need to get another modem or another sound card.

you also might try separating the modem and the sound card, i.e. put the sound card in the top PCI slot and the modem in the bottom. even though it's not wireless sometimes you can still get a little interference.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.