Just built a new 64bit system and my graphics lag like crazy.

System specs:
Cpu: Amd64 3400+ Newcastle (not overclocked)
MoBo: DFI Lanparty n3 250gb
HDD: WD 74 GB raptor 10,000rpm
680watt PS
GPU: Nvidia 6800gt 256mb

I'm starting to think its a directx problem so I tried to download 9.0c from the microsoft website but when i run the installer it tells me that it cannot be installed on this operating system...any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hello,

I would suspect the nVidia card. I have seen numerous times at work the nVidia cards and their drivers act up. We found ATI to be far more reliable and stable.

If you have a older video card laying around, give it a try. Or see if you can find a better driver out there for the nVidia card. I know that I would personally avoid that card and driver.

Christian

I've seen it the other way 'round kc0arf! :)

I've not played with the XP64 myself, so my advice is merely informed guessing. Do you have 64-bit compatible drivers loaded? I'm not sure if the programs and games need to support 64-bittiness, but it's something worth investigating.

To be honest, I'd just stick with 32-bit Windows XP. The performance gained is hardly worth any trouble at the moment, and A64 is happy to run 32-bit applications.

I'm on the ATI bandwagon, but I've expirenced nothing but pain from the XP 64 builds, I'd suggest backing down to WinXP Pro untill the 64 bit line of XP has more ready drivers.

Well after further research and a few hours of foul language and threats to shoot my computer, I found out that there is a compatability issues between nforce3 250gb and the geforce graphics cards. Which I probably should have found doing more research before buying, but most people would figure that the same companies chips would be compatable...I found though if you turn off quick write in your bios for the agp slot the stuttering graphics go away, but there wasnt much performance difference between my new setup and my old 32 bit barton 2800 set up.

Anyways, I rma'ed my mobo and bought ASUS K8V SE DELUXE Socket 754 VIA K8T800 ATX AMD Motherboard. No issues with my gpu and this chipset so hopefully this will fix the problem correctly

I found though if you turn off quick write in your bios for the agp slot the stuttering graphics go away

You'll find that to be a common fix for many video card issues, with a negligible performance difference (it's recommended the option be turned off regardless).

but there wasnt much performance difference between my new setup and my old 32 bit barton 2800 set up.

Was that with the 6800GT as well? If so, I'm not entirely suprised at the lack of a noticeable performance. The video card is the driving force behind today's games, with performance being CPU limited until you start driving up the graphics detail.

Anyways, I rma'ed my mobo and bought ASUS K8V SE DELUXE Socket 754 VIA K8T800 ATX AMD Motherboard. No issues with my gpu and this chipset so hopefully this will fix the problem correctly

Good to hear!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.