My husband just finished upgrading two computers using a Elitegroup L4VXA2 motherboard in each. He installed Win XP Pro on both computes but now , after all updates are applied, the computers won't power off when I choose Start/Shut Down.

He installed Win 98SE first, to recover some files and it powered-off just fine but when he installed XP Pro it would no longer power off. They will shut down but then we get the msg: "OK to power off your computer now"

Any suggestions please. This is very confusing. The processors are P4 2.5G

thank you so much. :sad:

PS the cases are: Just PC Diamond Series JPC755p4 PLU # 3845817 Pat # B452-1018 from Fry's Electronics

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

Maybe try a good defrag?

Defrag??????????? This is a new system w/new hard drives?????????

Defrag??????????? This is a new system w/new hard drives?????????

That means nothing. You would not believe how badly defragged a drive gets after doing an OS load. Get Diskkeeper 7, or 8 and check it out for yourself - dont depend on the Windows version to get the job done. Im not saying this is your problem, but it cannot hurt

peace

caperjack, where would I find APM??? Sorry just saw the link and am printing out the instr. now.

thank you both for helping me. I really appreciate it.

Happy New Year :p

Just tried the instructions on that link and there is not APM option in XP Pro that I could find. I also tried a 'search' in the help and could not find anything. Bummer :sad:

(W)here would I find APM?

To start with, check the BIOS setup screen for a menu entry along the lines of Power Management to find the APM and/or ACPI settings. I just found http://www.computerhope.com. If you enter BIOS in the search box, then look under Help Pages, you will get an overview of the common BIOS setup screens to look through.

The Power Management stuff under Windows is under the Control Panel. I'm in Linux right now, and I run Win 98 anyway, so I will defer to others on that aspect...

I will do that when hubby gets home Tallcool1. But why does it power off in Win98 SE if it's a BIOS thingy?

...why does it power off in Win98 SE if it's a BIOS thingy?

Windows 98 and Windows XP interact differently with certain BIOS settings. In essence, 98 ignores some of them -- some power-management aspects of newer BIOSes were developed later than the 1997 time frame of Win 98.

went into Advanced Power Options in BIOS and ACPI is Enabled. Anything else I should check?

BTW I did defrag both partitions. TY

went into Advanced Power Options in BIOS and ACPI is Enabled. Anything else I should check?

As I suggested earlier:

The Power Management stuff under Windows is under the Control Panel. I'm in Linux right now, and I run Win 98 anyway, so I will defer to others on that aspect...

I had a similar problem come up when I installed WinXP on my computer. I ended up turning off a function on the bios called "power up on pci" or something like that.

What motherboard are you using? My suggestion is to install the chipset drivers (sometimes called All-in-one drivers) - this will enable APM and ACPI (among other things) in XP.

I had an Intel Springdale board that had the power-off problem just like you. I installed the Intel Chipset Drivers, and it turned off properly.

My question, at the top, included the motherboard...(My husband just finished upgrading two computers using a Elitegroup L4VXA2 motherboard in each...) but I will check with him re: chipset when he gets up this AM. I know he installed motherboard stuff but not sure how much or what. thanks for the suggestion. So appreciated.

ACPI is enabled. We tried both ways. No difference.

My question, at the top, included the motherboard...(My husband just finished upgrading two computers using a Elitegroup L4VXA2 motherboard in each...) but I will check with him re: chipset when he gets up this AM. I know he installed motherboard stuff but not sure how much or what.

These use a VIA chipset, so the VIA 4-in-1 Hyperion drivers are used. The newest version is dated 12/2/2003, so are newer than what you have on the CD. They can't hurt.

I would also add a SoundBlaster Live! or better sound card to at least one of them when you get a chance. The AC '97 onboard-sound stuff drags down performance badly.

I would also add a SoundBlaster Live! or better sound card to at least one of them when you get a chance. The AC '97 onboard-sound stuff drags down performance badly.

Lets get the computer working properly before we add new hardware ;-).

I had a similar problem come up when I installed WinXP on my computer. I ended up turning off a function on the bios called "power up on pci" or something like that.

As I said before ^

Thank you Shadow, looked for that but could not find it. Also checked out chipset and found nothing to do with the BIOS either.

In the BIOS, go to "Power Management Setup", then go to IRQ/Event Activity Detect", then disable "PowerOn by PCI Card." You can also change "Soft-Off by PWRBTN" (under "Power Management Setup") to "Delay 4 Sec" and see if that helps.

In the BIOS, go to "Power Management Setup", then go to IRQ/Event Activity Detect", then disable "PowerOn by PCI Card." You can also change "Soft-Off by PWRBTN" (under "Power Management Setup") to "Delay 4 Sec" and see if that helps.

So sorry this reply took so long. After your suggestion the computer powers off properly and I totally forgot to thank you ALL so very much!!! A happy power offer, hahahah

inphoenix

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.