Hi Any1 Help?

I recently had to do a full system restore on my pc as i got a virus on my pc from the internet! it really messed my pc up. I have a basic pc running on win98se. The system restore should have restored it to original condition like the day i got it? but now the desktop isn't resized right. The screen resolution is set to 1024x768 pixels but looks smaller than it should,
it looks similar to when u select 1152x864 when it should be 1024x768!
I've tried moving the slider to 800X600 (looks to big!)

I've updated my graphic card driver but the problem is still there! But it should be ok with the original driver right? I've tried everything (controls on my monitor) etc.

My P.C:

win98se
Pentium 3 550mhz
128mb RAM
Intel(R) 82810 Graphics Controller
Plug and play monitor

Matty.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

If it's a monitor alignment/set up problem, you might try this little utility program to assist you in setting it up. Go to:
Download, unzip the file, and install it. You will get a colored test pattern on your screen (just a logo at this point) with small icons in two rows under it. Each icon represents a separate test (convergence, color, contrast, etc...) On the logo page, you should see the current resolution setting you have, displayed.

But, this still sounds like a driver problem. Try the program above and post the results.

Thanks for the advice Rueful Rogue, I tried that program everything seems fine though. I agree with you it's probably a driver problem, the system restore should have reset my p.c to its original condition.

After I did a full system restore i installed my dvd software which came with my p.c now my dvds dont play- must be a graphic driver problem?

matty.

Are you sure that your restore point was BEFORE the virus problem? Also, I'm not sure, but some virus's can plant entries into your registry which can become resident unless manually found and removed. What was happening to your computer due to the virus? Was it just video/monitor problems, or was there more. And with the exception of your current monitor problem, is everything else now working properly?

The restore point was before the virus problem i should have original settings.

I got a virus i think it was called backdoor blue eye it wouldn't let me change my homepage in the internet settings and everytime i open a folder on my p.c an error message kept popping up saying something like do u want to run a script on this page?

The next time i turned my pc on it would run only in safe mode all my drivers had vanished. I Had a lot of spyware and other rubbish on my pc so I thought it would b a good idea to do a full system restore.

Everything else is working ok.

I tried to research your virus, but you must have gotten the name wrong. I could not find anything close except one which was a hoax on Bluemountain greeting cards.

You said you had done a full system restore. Was this from a set of full system back-up disks? If so, did you follow the procedures outlined in this article from Microsoft?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;187526

And finally, were you (are you) using any type of anti-virus program? If not, then I can steer you to several free software programs which you can download and scan your drives with. If there is a bug hiding, these will probably find it.

Its definately called Backdoor.BlueEye.10b i found loads of info on google, its a trojan.

The restore was done with a set of full system back-up disks which i got with my p.c and followed the instruction which can with them.

I was using norton AntiVirus 2002 I think it picked the virus up, but my virus definitions weren't updated! My fault!

I have done a full system restore once b4 in the past with the same back-up disks, All settings were fine.

matty.

After doing a full system restore, it's always a good idea to go back to Microsoft and check for updates to your O/S If you have outdated or missing drivers, they should show up when you let MS scan your PC. Barring that, I would go back to the MFR of each of your cards (audio, video, modem/NIC and etc.) and see if there are any updated versions of your current drivers.
You probably know that you can look at the current versions from the control panel/systems/device drivers windows. Go to the card (video as an example) and expand the menu, select the device & highlight it with your mouse & double click to open the info screen. It should tell you if the device is working OK and what the current driver version is.

If you've done all this already, then the next thing I'd check is the Codecs to see if you find any duplicates loaded. Here's a cut & paste from another thread of one of my posts on this:

Windows makes extensive use of CODECS (coders/decoders), as mentioned by DMR above, to support the variety of multimedia applications available. For example, video capture requires numerous codecs to encode the audio and video streams being passed to the PC. As another example, audio playback requires one codec for each type of audio format. In many cases, you may find more than one copy of the same codec on the same system. This can easily happen as various multimedia applications are installed and removed. When there is more than one instance of the same codec, conflicts may result that impair the performance of your multimedia applications. The full thread on this topic is at

Whenever you encounter trouble with audio recording, playback, capture and so on, always check for duplicate codecs under your Multimedia icon:

1- Click Start, highlight Settings, and then select Control Panel.
2- Double-click the Multimedia (may be listed as Sounds & Multimedia) icon, and then select the Devices tab.
3- Expand the Audio Compression Codecs entry and look for duplicate entries.
4- If you see duplicate entries, check the Properties for each instance and then remove the OLDER instance.
5- Apply your changes and reboot the system if necessary.
6- You can check for duplicate codecs under the other entries as well.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.