plus if I mouse over MSN messenger it disappears and I cannot gfet this to load either. I have virus scanned, defragged and regedited to the ends of my expertise and in some cases well beyond, but cannot seem to get this problem fixed.

Upon logging into the computer, MSN auto-starts and immediately gets a 'send error report' message - of the dozens of times I have seen this, once or twice it actually gave me details noting that the driver for my video card was out of date - I have since went to a online driver service - paid the 30.00 or so and upgraded to NVidia this or that - same issue exists.

any thoughts? appreciate your help!
Brad

...lo and behold MS offered a kdb article where UTL files were removed from the regisrty and msn is now working. Will update if suddenly is stops again.

Still have ad-aware problem though.

here is the kdb article...

This is currently a known issue with Windows Live Messenger 14.0 version. Please take a registry back up and follow the workaround which helps resolve this issue.

Note: This workaround is only applicable for users who are in Windows Live Messenger 14.0 Version and for users experiencing Windows Live Messenger crash during the Sign-In process. If you can Sign-In successfully and if Windows Live Messenger Crashes, then this workaround is not applicable.

Please follow the steps below:

Warning: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall Operating System. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Edit at your own risk. Before modifying the registry, make sure to back it up, understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs.

1. Backup Registry Files:

a. Open Registry Editor:

For Windows Vista and Windows 7: Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box and then press Enter on your keyboard.

For Windows XP: Click on Start à click Run à type regedit à click OK

b. You may get a dialogue box with message “Do you want the following program to make changes to the computer?” Click Yes

c. In the Registry Editor window, click on File and click on Export…

d. Save the file on your Desktop or in your desired location. File will have the default extension (*.reg) to back up the registry file

d. To Restore Registry file, in the Registry Editor window, click on File and Click on Import…

e. Browse to the location and look for file name with extension .reg and click on Open

2. Modify Registry Key associated to your Windows Live Messenger account

a. Open Registry Editor:

For Windows Vista and Windows 7: Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box and then press Enter on your keyboard.

For Windows XP: Click on Start à click Run à type regedit à click OK

b. Click on the + sign of each of the items listed below to locate this folder: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger\PerPassportSettings\<Hash Number>

1. Click the [+] sign beside HKEY_CURRENT_USER

2. Scroll down and click the [+] sign beside Software

3. Scroll down and click the [+] sign beside Microsoft

4. Scroll down and click the [+] sign beside MSNMessenger

5. Scroll down and click the [+] sign beside PerPassportSettings

6. Check folders with Hash Number and locate “UTL” Reg_SZ key containing your email address. Delete it.

c. Close the Windows Registry Editor

3. Restart Windows Live Messenger and try to Sign-In

4. Once signed in, make sure to change the Windows Live Messenger display picture to a different one than what you have set during the Crash.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.