Member Avatar for vs49688

Hey,

Yesterday my 30GB iPod video stopped working. Because I hate using iTunes, i Decided to put rockbox onto it.
I had rockbox installed and working properly, but all of a sudden it wont boot rockbox or the original firmware. diagnostic mode and disk mode still work, but diagnostic mode says theres nothing wrong and windows freezes when i plug it in on disk mode. gParted on ubuntu says the hard disk is only 7GB not 30gb. and that it is not formatted.
When I ran "fdisk -l" on ubuntu it gave me a very interesting message:

Disk /dev/sde: 30.0 GB, 30005821440 bytes
255 heads, 62 sectors/track, 926 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 15810 * 2048 = 32378880 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x20202020

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sde1               1           4       96264    0  Empty
Partition 1 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
     phys=(0, 1, 1) logical=(0, 1, 2)
Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
     phys=(2, 254, 63) logical=(3, 12, 21)
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sde2               4         927    29206168    b  W95 FAT32
Partition 2 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
     phys=(3, 0, 1) logical=(3, 12, 22)
Partition 2 has different physical/logical endings:
     phys=(911, 254, 62) logical=(926, 180, 59)

Does anybody know how to fix this problem???

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Some particular reason why you're running several different OSs?

Because I wanted to be able to play doom and not to use itunes on my ipod.

1) can you do without "iTunes"?
2) can you reload OS with preferred apps.?

hey, you should not alter the original firmware of your ipod..it might not be compatible..the worst thing u might corrupt the flash memory...better go back to service center and ask them to reload your original firmware and settings...good luck...

its not that. its the actual hard drive. it says its 7gb when its actually 30gb. And the flash memory is fine i've compared the checksum to the original

Drive parameters may not be correct in bios. Check mfg. settings on drive for 30gb setting. If you change, info on drive is lost. Use fdisk default settings, i.e. all available space, etc. One partion only. Format and reload software, apps., etc. Burn all personal files to cd/dvd first.

i would do that but ive got a lot of data on the hard drive, which i need to keep. otherwise i would.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.