Hi Folks,
I am a new member & after a quick look around the site I think I will gain some valuable advice & learn some stuff in areas where I only have basic Knowledge.
My problem at the moment is a dead Mobo, I purchased a "bundle" from Maplins (Pure element 690v PE-AM2RS690V2 I am not sure what the processor is other than it's a quad core AMD (I did google the numbers but I found nothing) the thing is when I first connected the board, nothing, just silence, I thought it was the PSU, but after checking (linking the green to a black on the 24 pin molex) all voltages were OK, so I left every thing out & just connected the power to the M/board, nothing! I then removed the 8 pin ATX12v1 plug & then the fans started working, I connected the graphics card, HD, DVD drives all worked but nothing on the monitor (No Post) no lights or beeps on the mobo. The thing is why would connecting the ATX12v1 stop the fans etc working (I believe the "ATX12v1" is extra power for the CPU?) I do have a bad feeling that it's the CPU at fault, I am loath to try another CPU in the M/board in case it's faulty & fries it. I would be very grateful for any ideas or positive thoughts on the problem. I can't take it back to Maplins as I live in Spain. I have built in excess of 60 units in the past & nothing like this! doing my head in. lol
I basically need to somehow identify (a) A faulty mobo (b) A fried PSU (c) Or something else?

Muchas Gracias
Isokam

buy a 30 dollar sempron if the mobo is AM3, and test it with that, its your cheapest test option, if it still doesnt work, its the motherboard.

buy a 30 dollar sempron if the mobo is AM3, and test it with that, its your cheapest test option, if it still doesnt work, its the motherboard.

Hi,
Your suggestion is good but where I live in Spain PSU not so cheap, also it's AM2 mobo. I will investigate how financially practical your suggestion is.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.