Ok so I recently got a memory dumb error, completely randomly to my knowledge. From then I could only bott up in safe mofe, i removed the graphics card drivers then it loaded fine in to normal mode. Reinstall them, back to the memory dumb. Anyhow I figured out a way to update the drivers so that I can get in to windows normally with the graphics drivers installed and recognized and everything is fine except my monitor.

In my device manager it doesnt even have a place for the monitor to say "Plug and play" or anything else. If I right click on the desktop go to properties, settings then advance, everything in the window that pops up is unavailable and the top says only (Default monitor). Everything seems to be fine except my refresh rate (I think that would be it) Like if I am on a webpage and I scroll down, instead of smoothly scrolling down it jumps down quite slowly. Also any drop down menus scroll very slowly.

I also tried connecting another monitor I had and it did the same thing and didnt seem to recognize it at all. (No pop up saying new monitor detected etc etc.) I am actually on that computer right now so its usuable just very...not..right, to say the least.

Is this something with my motherboard or my graphics card? (In trying to fix the originally mentioned memory dumb I updated both the motherboard chipset drivers and the BIOS)

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Hiya. That 'unavailable' bit in display properties has me intrigued. Are the options 'greyed out'? If so, visit our Viruses, spyware and Nasties section and get some help with cleaning up your system, because that sounds like the after effects of a nasty intruder which has fiddled with system settings. Get your system clean then do a refresh install of Windows. The device drivers should load OK after that. If not, you might be facing a format/fresh install.

Hiya. That 'unavailable' bit in display properties has me intrigued. Are the options 'greyed out'? If so, visit our Viruses, spyware and Nasties section and get some help with cleaning up your system, because that sounds like the after effects of a nasty intruder which has fiddled with system settings. Get your system clean then do a refresh install of Windows. The device drivers should load OK after that. If not, you might be facing a format/fresh install.

Hey, sorry I took so long to reply to this. Im just getting off a format/clean install. I did that after I got the memory dumb error to try and fix that and for awhile I kep the network cable unplugged just in case something might get in so its highly highly unlikely theres still a virus causeing problems. (I also have an updated copy of norton running).

A tech guy I know said find the driver cd for the monitor BUT I dont recall getting a driver cd with this monitor or any other monitor ive ever gotten. Also I tried pluggin in another monitor and it didnt pick up on that either (I could still see but same refresh rate and unrecognized problem).

The monitor is a Daewoo Model: C740BBk

The fact that you've just performed a format/clean install means little if you've loaded software since or been using the internet. Having Norton installed does not protect you against all forms of intruders.

The monitor 'driver' has nothing to do with this. Your 'Tech guy' must not understand how hardware works, because a monitor driver merely gives Windows information about what screen resolution and refresh rate settings are suitable for use with the monitor installed. All monitors should work without a monitor driver loaded, in the more common screen resolution settings anyway!

You should really post the full text of error messages received. I'm suspecting that you are referring to a memory dump but there will be displayed error information which is relevent for identifying where the problem is originating.

This really sounds like a software problem, and fuller details of the contents of error messages would help. Some programs (Norton is one of them) load 'virtual' display drivers which can conflict with the ones loaded for hardware components. Hard to tell what's going on without more information.

Hmm I went over this briefly in my first post to try to help better understand how I got to where I am now. The memory dumb was -before- this problem. I reformatted to try to fix it, didnt work, played with and updated the graphics drivers and updated the chipset drivers and the bios and got it to where the memory dump is not occuring.

Now after all that is figured out, I notice the monitor problem (At first when I get on the web and when I go to scroll it jumps instead of scrolls) then from there I trace the problem to what is described above. I installed norton only after I got back on the internet, which is after I noticed the problem, so Norton is not the problem, and it shouldnt be a malicious program after a clean install. I will see if I can get some screenshots posted here in a few minutes.

Pic

Update: Theres the pic I promised, as you can see that in the advanced tab from the display properties window it says Default Monitor at the top, and then all that unavailable info. In the device manager you can also see that the monitor is missing completely.

Okay. Thanks for that because it's clarified what you are discussing. It seems apparent that somehow device drivers have not installed correctly. Perhaps its the drivers being used, perhaps its the installation procedures you've followed. Hard to tell. Either the motherboard chipset drivers or the display drivers have not installed correctly and caused the problem.

Could you please let us know the make and model of your motherboard, or the make and model of the PC if it is a 'Brand name' one.

Everest Home Edition is a useful hardware reporting tool for determining identification details if you don't know them.

I built the computer so its not brand name heres the info:

Main Circuit Board:
Intel: D915GAG AAC64123-304
Serial: LAAG51910292
BIOS: Intel Corp. EV91510A.86A.0444.2005.0429.2108 04/29/2005

Processor: Pentium 4 3.0gigahertz

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 (Actually NVIDIA 'powered' found the driver update at EVGA website)

I still havent come up with anything, any other ideas?

Install motherboard chipset driver. Then install display driver (downloaded from NMVidia, not from elsewhere.)

If that doesn't work then wipe the system and start over.

Sorry to say that, but it really IS the best way to resolve some problems, and bad display drivers corruptions are one of them. You said earlier you did a format/fresh install but you have obviously not done the 'install' part adequately. Motherboard chipset drivers need to be installed BEFORE the display drivers. Was that done? Have you first downloaded the most up to date manufacturer drivers and used those?

It's a straightfoward set of steps:

* Download all necessary drivers first and save them to CD. Get them from the manufacturer websites, not from 'Driver search' thingies.
* Wipe the hard drive and install Windows fresh. Cancel out of any "Where's the driver?" hardware found dialogues.
* Load the motherboard chipset drivers.
* Load the display driver.
* If it doesn't work from there get a technicain to look at it because hardware might be faulty.
* If it does work from there proceed to install other drivers and software.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.