Hey all. This is a nice forum. I've had countless computer questions over the years go unanswered....it can be just plain taxing and time consuming to really get adept if you work away from one most of the time, like me. Anyway... As the Apple || came to it's final days (prompting Steve Wozniak to leave the company), the IIGS hinted at a world of 16 bit applications, but sadly never had a chance to save the II series. I started out on these systems and still have a //c as well. Wondering if the ][GS might have collector value down the road... I grabbed the basic parts for a full unit, but lack most to all software for it... but have plenty of the 8bit stuff!

This is really just a light-hearted fond look back, but how do you suppose the // series might fare as years go by? Seems the early game consoles might have some value as they get more scarce, or as technology advances, people become more intrigued by gaming's origins. I point to Dan Gorlin's Choplifter all the time as a milestone in gaming I think. Anyone every recall Airheart? His very cool followup in 1986 on Broderbund Software, and of course... Their Loderunner games!
BILL

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

I, too, have a IIGS neatly packed away in my closet. It's in near-mint condition, perfectly functional, and has all of its programs to boot. Unfortunately, I don't think it's worth much value right now. Being from the 80s, lots of people still have them buried away somewhere with their other old PCs, just like I do. In addition, we all remember them to some extent. I don't think they'll start appreciating in value due to the "intrigued by our roots" factor until someone can say "wow, that's the computer my grandpa used!" While we may think that our five year old computer is ancient in terms of how fast technology is growing, think about how many appliances in your house are over twenty years old. Most of the phones in my house, for example, were bought when we moved here roughly 18 years ago. They don't quite have the "reminisce from the past" quality as a distinguished old style rotary.

I started on our family and school's Apple //e and then the enhansed version of course, followed. I even had a ][Plus for a short time, but that one was a bit underdeveloped.
I've held on to my A+ Magazines, NIBBLE, which was one heck of a magazine I might add... and various few books/manuals.
To me, even booting up the old stuff is a wonderful trek back in time, and the systems are still very sleek and hook up to any TV as well, a Wozniak trick from the get go, allowing his computer to use regular NTSC.. Never the Same Color, twice, as they joked in the day
:cheesy:
Bill

I, too, have a ][GS laying around...full loaded with memory, floppy drives, expansion cards, etc...I have to agree that these machines are not going to peek in value any time soon...the only ones I can see having much value are those signed by Woz himself...they do hold the distinction of being the first Apple computer to sport a GUI, albiet a novelty...here is a link to system 6.0.1 for the ][GS...

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Apple_II/

I've loaded it up and seen it for myself, but don't expect to do very much with it...I think it was merely a developer precursor for things to come...however, if you search around Apple's website, you can find more software for the ][ series...

I have an old Apple II GS computer, put away now.
Remember doing a computer program to do fractal art.
The computer program ran all night to draw 1 Fractal.

The reason I bring up the ][GS (Graphics & Sound, if anyone forgot) is it seems to have led a very short existance, as I recall 1990/1991 the II series was laid to rest with little fanfare, I had been searching library material for anything of substance back then. I'd used my Apple all through the 1980s, mainly for games...of course, but it was something you grew affinity for, despite things like the Amiga system (took some time just to recall THAT!!) had made splashing headlines with it's graphics. That system also fell silent, it seemed destined for great things. I will need the 16bit system for the hardware, so thanks for that!
I figured it is a bit early for these to be considered collectors items, but they can still provide great fun for young kids who never got to experience 8bit computing. Just looking at my old magazine prices, it's pretty amazing the cost of powerful hardware these days. At $1500 to $2500 back in the day, adjusted for inflation and all. I doubt I could ever buy one on my own.
My 2GS and 2c (trying to keep the CR at bay!) both came about via the local Goodwill for a great price. One dead AC adapter however, was not fun (along with a bunk RGB monitor)
Bill

Hi all,

Just stumbled onto your web site looking for a replacement monitor for the old //gs.

I've been around since the late 70's and started with the Apple][. Then went through the //e, the //c, and finally the //gs. The gs is fully loaded like I see many of you have done. One of my big hardware enhancements is a Transwarp GS which kicks up the cpu speed and is still working fine today.

I've still got a TON of software in both 8 and 16 bit. Tons of books on the //e, //gs, operating systems, disk operating systems, and software development up the wazu in several different languages. My favorite being Assembler and Pascal from those days.

I wrote a few "windows" type programs. Got published on a monthly software disk once with an editing program to create games for a neat little program called Word Finder which ran on the //gs using the operating system's toolbox.

Won one of Nibble magazines two-liner programming contests and even have kept the full line of A+ and Nibble magazines mailed monthly during that period. I eagerly awaited each month's magazine arrival so I could type in the latest published programs listed in the magazines. Pretty much how I taught myself programming tricks especially in assembly language.

Anyway nastalgia is nice but my //gs monitor is taking a dump. Anybody know how I can replace it cheaply?

>Anybody know how I can replace it cheaply?
The Apple IIGS has an RCA video out connection (NTSC). Nearly every North American television set supports this input, and you can also buy adapters to convert the signal to VGA for example, for hooking up to a regular computer monitor.

>Anybody know how I can replace it cheaply?
The Apple IIGS has an RCA video out connection (NTSC). Nearly every North American television set supports this input, and you can also buy adapters to convert the signal to VGA for example, for hooking up to a regular computer monitor.

The converter sounds interesting. Didn't know that worked for the //gs monitor, thought it was one of kind. I assume that might be a gender bender of some kind. Would you happen to know the pin outs on the //gs side and the VGA side? Bet I could get away with a $20 fix on this if I use a spare VGA I have laying around!!!

Bob2Gas

There are actually two video outputs on the Apple IIGS. The regular RGB monitor connection, a 15 pin connector, which I presume you're currently using (or used), and there's composite RCA video, a round connector with a hole in the middle.

I suppose you could try to hotwire some sort of connector from the RGB connection, but what would be a heck of a lot easier is to simply utilize the RCA output.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_video

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.