My IBM Thinkpad laptop is on a docking station with a monitor hooked up to it. If I remove the laptop from the station and go to another room to compute and then shut off the laptop, and then go back to the room later where the docking station is located and turn the laptop back on, I have to reconfigure the laptop to use the external monitor. WHY?

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

rcalvin,

My guess would be, you are using a microsoft video adapter driver vs. the OEM's version.

Download and install the video display adapter driver from the OEM.

However, if this isn't the issue, please explain what you mean by "re-configure".

J_

rcalvin,

My guess would be, you are using a microsoft video adapter driver vs. the OEM's version.

Download and install the video display adapter driver from the OEM.

However, if this isn't the issue, please explain what you mean by "re-configure".

J_

Hello,
I do not know if the display adapter is correct. I will check it out. What I mean by reconfigure is, when I turn the laptop back on later with the monitor attached to the docking station, the green light on the monitor just blinks. When I go into the desktop and right click the mouse and then on properties and then settings, I always have to click on "extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor" button.

Thanks.

rcalvin,

Not knowing the actual software, I assume the configuration settings you are making can be saved as a scheme. You should be able to choose default, set the setting you want, then save.

But, the point is, your problem seems to be associated with the adapter software not saving your settings. This may be obvious to you already. However, I don't have an answer as to why it's not saving if in fact you have taken all the appropriate steps to do so. Not knowing the actual application you are using to configure your adapter, I cannot tell you the appropriate steps either.

J_

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.