I have sitting here a compaq presario 5000 series machine (gotta love em)....one of the 2 cdroms (on is a burner) shows up in cmos. and I can boot a cd from it. However whenever your in windows (xp pro)....neither of them are there. In device manager, one of the cd roms pop up from time to time with a yellow exclamation mark. I have tried the standard uninstall reinstall through device manager with little luck. Im guessing that some adware infection killed off the driver files. How do I get back what windows is lacking. As of now Im pretty sure that this is a OS problem, Im just not sure where to go from here. any help would be appreciated...im kinda stuck

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

An explanation and fix for the most common cause of what you describe can be found here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q270008/

Although the article pertains to Win 2000, I've seen the problem occur with XP as well; the fix described for Win 2000 works for XP.

Please note that although the article only refers to the "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" entries in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet registry subkey, I've had to apply the fix to the similar entries (if found) in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet00x subkeys as well in order to make it work.

Just wanted to say thanks....that solved the issue...dang registry messup strikes again. I would have never found it without ur help....thanks DMR!!!

once again...forums prove to ROCK!!!

...dang registry messup strikes again.

Yeah, that's a really obscure one, isn't it?

Glad we could help you get it sorted out so quickly. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.