So i have a 2005 compaq desktop. And i will from here post the specs then go on to describe my problem

G Card : Nvidia 8600
Ram : 1.5 gigs on 2 sticks

So i did a thermal paste job on mny computer about 1 month ago and ever since then i had problems. And before i get asked is the paste thick. No i made sure the thermal paste was very thin. Well first off my main cpu fan died so i had to replace that. Now whenever i try to start up my computer i can get it to go the desktop and then it shuts off. So i replaced the power as that was my next troubleshooting step. So with power supply replaced it goes to the linux desktop and i get maybe 2 min of computer time before it continues to shut off again. The only things i have not taken into account is the RAM cards possbily going bad or the G card possibly going bad. And the ram cards are fairly new as is the G card. So this is my last option is to post on here and see if someone couold shed some light upon this problem im having as its a very unique one

- Mag1cN1nja

PS: sorry for the wall of text.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Ram : 1.5 gigs on 2 sticks

did you try booting with just one ,the original one first !

nope, ty. i could use all the suggestions/ insight i can get cause im tearing out my hair lol.

Well first off my main cpu fan died so i had to replace that.

didn't damage [by overheating it ] the cpu when this happened did you

Well first off my main cpu fan died so i had to replace that.

didn't damage [by overheating it ] the cpu when this happened did you

no the fan was damaged when i was doing the thermal paste job cause it was so corroded with dirt

cause it was so corroded with dirt

so cpu was overheating for a long period of time before fan was replaced ,make sure heatsinc is nice and tight making a good connection to the cpu

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.