well as the title says i think its dead my guessing defining dead could it be my motherboard?? reason being - every time i try to turn it on i hear a click sound coming from the motherboard and being detail'ed - the power light comes on(is it receiving power??) but it doesn't turn on weirdly so my finding it might be/might not be the motherboard so i can't really put a finger on it but like i said it could be my motherboard - by the way the model is a e-machine M6811

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

I'm not too sure in this area, but seeing as the power light is on, it sounds like the plug is working, though you could test this out with a voltmeter to make sure the plug is supplying the correct voltage.

clicking souln could be harddrive ging bad

Offtopic: clicking sound could be caperjack's grammar and spelling fail?
My advice would be to check power to each of the components (SAFETY FIRST! CHECK UP ON HOW YOU NEED TO BE EARTHED SO YOU DON'T ZAP YOURSELF!!!). If one or two components aren't getting power, then they are faulty. If many aren't getting power, then the power supply might be damaged.

Emachine are well known for their PSU's failing and taking lots of the hardware out with them including (but not always) motherboard, ram, cpu, hard drive, and opticals.

As an example, I have personally come across 2 Emachine PSU's putting 48 volts to the 12 volt rail and no component survived. On the other hand, I came across one that had a completely dead PSU, once replaced, that machine worked perfectly for well over 5 years after which I lost touch with it's owner!

Emachine's are poorly built with the cheapest of cheap components and are not designed to last very long. Emachine know about the PSU problem but don't care in the slightest as they make plenty more money fixing the hunks of junk and well and truly overcharging for it!

I had one customer pay £175 for them to fit a £30 motherboard which blew again after about 8 months!

Easy way to find a bad motherboard, look at the capacitors (cylindrical circuits with flat tops) and make sure the tops are flat. If they are bubbled up or leaking, it may be your motherboard. Have you tried opening and tinkering with it recently? I've also seen this occur with a loose CPU. Make sure the CPU is placed correctly.

Also, try removing as much as you can from the computer. If you have an onboard video card, take out your video card and use the onboard. Run with as little memory as you can, disconnect and DVD/CD drives, basically as much as you can take out and still theoretically have it still work and try booting it up.

lol, drunk again !!hehe

Emachine are well known for their PSU's failing and taking lots of the hardware out with them including (but not always) motherboard, ram, cpu, hard drive, and opticals.

As an example, I have personally come across 2 Emachine PSU's putting 48 volts to the 12 volt rail and no component survived. On the other hand, I came across one that had a completely dead PSU, once replaced, that machine worked perfectly for well over 5 years after which I lost touch with it's owner!

Emachine's are poorly built with the cheapest of cheap components and are not designed to last very long. Emachine know about the PSU problem but don't care in the slightest as they make plenty more money fixing the hunks of junk and well and truly overcharging for it!

I had one customer pay £175 for them to fit a £30 motherboard which blew again after about 8 months!

well if this counts for a laptop i changed the dc jack because the one i had was bad (so was the battery charger)
and the motherboard seems fine i guess i will have a recheck
--------------------------

My advice would be to check power to each of the components (SAFETY FIRST! CHECK UP ON HOW YOU NEED TO BE EARTHED SO YOU DON'T ZAP YOURSELF!!!). If one or two components aren't getting power, then they are faulty. If many aren't getting power, then the power supply might be damaged.

i never get Zapped maybe its just me but i don't feel zapped every time i touch it
and about the components i THINK they are getting powered due to the lights up front (orange light like if it was chargeing)might be a dead motherboard reflect?
--------------------------------

Easy way to find a bad motherboard, look at the capacitors (cylindrical circuits with flat tops) and make sure the tops are flat. If they are bubbled up or leaking, it may be your motherboard. Have you tried opening and tinkering with it recently? I've also seen this occur with a loose CPU. Make sure the CPU is placed correctly.

Also, try removing as much as you can from the computer. If you have an onboard video card, take out your video card and use the onboard. Run with as little memory as you can, disconnect and DVD/CD drives, basically as much as you can take out and still theoretically have it still work and try booting it up.

ok will look take a look at them if they are there

by the way I Really want to edit my first post to say this is a laptop! :S

ok new update - it self suicided - one of the energy filters sparkled lets hope my dads IT friend has a extra some where :( -

What do you mean by "energy filter"? It's not a term I have ever heard of before!

I say junk the thing and get a proper laptop!!!

what i mean is one of the black blocks sparkled/disintegrated don't no what to call that but it's a black block if that means anything

I say junk the thing and get a proper laptop!!!

i think it's too late i should have returned the the 100$ screen oh well and just a little note - i had a asus 1005ha didn't like cpu(1.6ghz) it had and a intel graphics ...don't think that will run what i wan't it to run but ..oh well...now i just think i shouldn't had sold it ..cures me and my desperation to get a better one now only if they sell a 100$down 2.2/2.1 of power of cpu now that i will get but i highly doubt they sell that on that price

It sounds like you are describing either a surface mount capacitor or maybe a transistor or a diode! How many solder points does it have and do any markings remain on it?

Better still, can you post a pgoto of it?

It sounds like you are describing either a surface mount capacitor or maybe a transistor or a diode! How many solder points does it have and do any markings remain on it?

Better still, can you post a pgoto of it?

sorry i can't get a photo i'd have to take it apart and stuff but if i where to describe it better i'd say a surface mount(gone like poof) maybe if i get time i will take a photo on Monday

Hey sorry i'v been away for a LONG while with the new house and stuff ,so finally can get on once again just to let you guys know what ever happened to that old piece of scrap(which i still to this day respect), well I'l start with a few months back where i was ready to receive the new motherboard for my dead one , and then while waiting out of know where we get the idea for a new laptop we tell the guy that was helping me get the MB that we had an idea for the laptop then after that we waited waited waited (1 or 2 i think months) after waiting that much on May(can't remember day i think around the last day of the month) that i received it (more detail'ed) i received a G73sw (i literary thought it was the JH but it wasn't) <- so that's the story Sorry if i misspelled anything! note this thread is a blast from the past.

Edit - and i also thought it was small.

Lol

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.