Member Avatar for Mouche

Hi, I'm running two 1 TB Western Digital drives, and in Windows 7, the secondary one is slow to access. I have it mounted as M:, and Windows Explorer shows a green progress bar at the top when it loads the root directory. Here's the weird part. It's VERY fast for any subdirectories. If I enter a large subdirectory, I can go into all the directories inside it very quickly, and files load quickly. But, if I navigate backwards to the root, there's a delay before it shows up again. I have Windows set to index the entire partition. There's currently about 200 GB used on the drive. Under the power settings, the hard disks are set to not turn off.

Any suggestions of what I can try?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Try backing it all up then giving it a full format. It sounds like it's indexing service may be messed up!

Member Avatar for Mouche

Thanks, I'll try that.

Let us know how you get on!

Member Avatar for Mouche

Well, I finally got around to backing up my data and formatting the drive. I did a full format -- not just a quick format. I restored the data, and the problem still exists. When I open the root directory it is blank and the mouse shows an icon indicating that it is busy. Then all of a sudden everything shows up at once.

It's a SATA drive right? If so, make sure your SATA and motherboard drivers are up to date.

Member Avatar for Mouche

Yes, it is a SATA drive. I just remembered that it's a SATA III drive. There's a particular connector for SATA III RAID on the motherboard. Perhaps I should switch it to that spot. I'll try downloading the latest drivers first.

I'm using a Western Digital Caviar Black SATA III 1 TB drive in a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R.

May be you hooked it up on the same IDE cable, That is why it is creating performance issue. I don't think full format will work.

Member Avatar for Mouche

These are both SATA drives, so there are no IDE cables.

I tried running a WD diagnostic program on the drive, and it passed all the tests.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.