I have a Dell Latitude D610 that will not power up with the ac adapter but will fire up with the battery, when I plug the ac adapter into the jack on the main board the green light on the ac adapter goes off which I've read means a short ether in the plug/jack on the main board or in the circuitry. I have swapped out 3 different ac adapters & all did the same thing, green light goes out as soon as you plug it into the jack on the computer. I also read this is a pretty common problem with some dells where the jack on the main board goes bad, so I bought a new jack for the main board & had it soldered in professionally, but am still having the same problem. any ideas what to try next?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Try it without the battery.

same thing happens without the battery installed

Looks like you will have to get it professionally diagnosed. I have 6 Dell d610's in the workshop at the moment. All have the exact same problem as yours. If I get a chance to figure the fault on one of them I will let you know. Don't hold your breath though, I have a lot of other laptops to repair so the Dells are way down on the list.

thanks Rik. whenever you get the chance. any help would be greatly appreciated.

The problem is I have so many other laptops to repair and I get more in on a daily basis, 7 days a week. Those Dells belong to us, not customers, so it is likely to be several months before I will have a chance to look at them.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.