Help! My wife's laptop hasn't been working right for a few days now. She turns it on, it sounds normal at first, she gets the screen displaying the Dell logo...sometimes it says "Resuming Windows" and there's the Windows logo. Then she gets what sounds like a small chirp from inside the computer and it shuts down. She goes through this 5-7 times before it finally starts.

If she's away from the computer for a while, when she opens it up again, it shuts down.

She called Dell and they want her to open the laptop. Neither one of us are very technically inclined enough to tinker with computer components.

Is there anything we can try, short of sending it in for repairs, that might fix it?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Is there anything we can try, short of sending it in for repairs, that might fix it?

short of what dell support wanted you to do ,no ,sound like hardware problem ans all hardware is inside the laptop

Help! My wife's laptop hasn't been working right for a few days now. She turns it on, it sounds normal at first, she gets the screen displaying the Dell logo...sometimes it says "Resuming Windows" and there's the Windows logo. Then she gets what sounds like a small chirp from inside the computer and it shuts down. She goes through this 5-7 times before it finally starts.

If she's away from the computer for a while, when she opens it up again, it shuts down.

She called Dell and they want her to open the laptop. Neither one of us are very technically inclined enough to tinker with computer components.

i take it you have already pressed F8 at the dell start up screen and gone in via safe mode and then tried to do a system restore to a date that the laptop was working before, just incase you had some update issues ?

i take it you have already pressed F8 at the dell start up screen and gone in via safe mode and then tried to do a system restore to a date that the laptop was working before, just incase you had some update issues ?

sounds like an HDD problem, since your not very familiar with computer components i would suggest you get the laptop repaired. Dell has really great customer service.

turn off the computer. Press the FN button, then at the same time press the power on button and release both buttons. The computer will go thru a diagnostic check which will take some time. If it finds nothing wrong it will then ask you to reboot. Mine was fine with the reboot.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.