hi, my vista laptop been crashing a lot lately when ive been multi taskingl. it just loses response. the ram is unusually high so i think its the ram but under device manager it seems fine. is it a virus? im lost please help!!

Contributors
Replies
Views
6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by PcTestCard.com

What is your Ram? 4GB or 8GB? What is your CPU usage? I doubt the ram will cause the problem unless is so high that your laptop cannot take it. Do a scan using Malware bytes to check whether it is a malware problem or not.

Overheating RAM is not an uncommon problem. You need to monitor the temperature, if you can. I don't know about Windows Vista capabilities in that regard. I use a free version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (Scientific Linux) 6 that has full support for system thermal sensors. Using that, I found that under load one of my memory sticks was overheating and subsequently taken out of service by the operating system. By re-arranging how I had them plugged into the motherboard (getting better airflow), I was able to reduce the temperature by 25-30C, eliminating the need (and co$t) to replace the RAM.

Check the laptop cooling fan and use 1 RAM at a time.

F8 key when laptop first boot and select Last Known Good Config from boot menu will help to run the last working profile.

Hope this helps!
Bill
Tech Manager

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.