I just bought a Samsung Slim External DVD Writer SE-S084F. The computer recognizes the drive, but when I put in a cd the drive constantly connects and disconnects while trying to read it. I have went on the website and I followed the installation instructions, but still nothing. Thanks for any help. (I am running Vista 64 bit, and the DVD drive is plugged into a USB hub)

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Member Avatar for StevenDupuis

I just bought a Samsung Slim External DVD Writer SE-S084F. The computer recognizes the drive, but when I put in a cd the drive constantly connects and disconnects while trying to read it. I have went on the website and I followed the installation instructions, but still nothing. Thanks for any help. (I am running Vista 64 bit, and the DVD drive is plugged into a USB hub)

Does your drive have its own power supply, or does it have two USB connectors?
I helped a friend install one of those with the two connectors and we had to connect it directly to the USB card onboard before it worked properly running WinXP SP3. Couldn't get it to work on a USB hub.

Since your machine recognizes the drive, have you tried other DVDs or CDRs in it?

Have you tried other ports on the USB hub? One of my USB external hard drives wasn't being recognized until I fiddled with the connector and moved it to another empty port on the card.

Hope this helps.
Steve Dupuis
Ottawa Canada

I believe your cd/dvd burner need a little more power than you can provide with a single usb 2.0 connector.

You need a usb-wire like this:
[img]http://www.dragonsteelmods.com/Images/reviews/usbfever-2xcable/resize/USBCable1.jpg[/img] (thank you google, and usbfever.com :) )

You can probably use an usb-hub IF it have it's own power source. Otherwise it will not work, since it will share the 250 milli-amp's (usb v.2 power limit per connector) among all the units attached to the hub.

When you first connect the dvd-drive, a single usb connector is sufficient for the dvd to power up and identify it self, but when it try to spin up, the power limiter will kick in, and make the drive reset again (disconnect/reconnect).

I have seen a few usb burners, power-efficient enough to fully work on a single usb connector, but most of them will fail, when you try to read or burn a disc. :)

It is better to always use a cable with extra power from a second usb plug. :)

I have the 2 usb plug cable and it cant read the CD/DVD with that. Even if I change the ports it does not work. I found out that it cant read the cd/DVD when both usb ports are connected to the hub. I guess it doesn't have enough input from the hub. though I did measure 4.5 volts from the hub.

It need to be 5 volts +/- 5% (4.75v ~ 5.25v) to be compliant to the standard USB 2.0 specification.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Power

You need a better power source for your usb-hub, or a better hub (whatever is the cheapest to find) :)

Or maybe the best solution would be to get a power supply for your external dvd burner. :D

I remeasured and got 4.74 - 4.76 V on the hub. The external DVD burner only came with a slot to put in the USB and that's it. I have (for now (one is in the cpu and the other is in the hub. The hub is connected to the second usb drive and my mouse is connected to the hub)) managed to solve this issue, but I am going to buy a USB hub that has its own power supply to insure that I get 5 volts per hub.

Member Avatar for StevenDupuis

Sounds like you're on the right track. Different peripherals incl. usb hubs all have different ranges that the manufacturers claim 'should work'. Sometimes getting the best deal on components can set you back days in trying to get things to work. I tend to be a real pest at my local suppliers because the sales people just want you to take whatever it is and bugger off. I ask them to get on the manuf. sites and check the specs there for specific models of things. This has saved me a lot of time doing installation and configuration after I get things home.

Regards,
Steve Dupuis
Ottawa, Canada

my external DVD player is read as a flash, ii cant use it to play DVDs

Why my external DVD player player read as a flash or removable device, i cant play movies, what is da cause?

i am sorry to say you must change your DVD rom its only the way you can get

I think its only a problem to your DVD drive and it need to be repair or be changed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.