I have an old computer that I am trying to install Ubuntu to. It is 10 years old and my dad made it for my older brother.

It used to reboot sometimes when I did certain tasks, for example when I was trying to play video game.. etc., but I haven't used this computer for a while now.

But now when I try to turn it on, the windows XP boot screen freezes, and the thingy on the buttom stops moving. This is probably not software problem because when I try to install Ubuntu it does the same thing too. It runs the memory test, but not installation. I don't know if this is hard drive or motherboard problem. Also I think this computer had a bad power supply so it was replaced several times.

EDIT: I was trying to launch Ubuntu installation and this happneed:
EDD:Error 3200 reading sector number and green screen lines followed green screen
EDD: Error 3200 reading sector 11631
Invalid or corrupt kernel image.
boot:_
EDD: Error 3200 reading sector 5736
Then I tried to launch windows, and it almost finished but then it restarted again, and for some reason when it restarts it makes clicking sound..

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I also think this is not because of hard drive, because when I tried to run ubuntu without installation, it still reboots. Maybe I should replace all the wires that connect the motherboard to ram and hard drive?

If I try safe mode this messages get displayed:

multi(disk)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drives\WMILIB.SYS
multi(disk)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\ACPI.sys
multi(disk)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\pci.sys
multi(disk)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\isapnp.sys
multi(disk)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\vialide.sys
multi(disk)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\PCIIDEX.SYS
multi(disk)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\MountMgr.sys
multi(disk)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\ftdisk.sys
multi(disk)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\dmload.sys
multi(disk)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\dmio.sys
multi(disk)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\PartMgr.sys
multi(disk)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\VolSnap.sys

and there is more, but I could not copy them because the computer rebooted again..

1.Does the boot up memory test show no problem?
2.Check the bios setup for obvious errors. As the pc was unused for a while, the battery is probably dead (the small one on the motherboard), so your bios settings will not be saved, which could cause a lot of bother.
3.Try formatting the hard drive and re-installing windows.

Check the hard disk. Your symptom pinpoints that it's your HDD is the causes for your problem.

1.Does the boot up memory test show no problem?

Yes, computer passed the memory test.

2.Check the bios setup for obvious errors. As the pc was unused for a while, the battery is probably dead (the small one on the motherboard), so your bios settings will not be saved, which could cause a lot of bother.

What do you define obvious? I just looked in the BIOS and everything seemed alright..

3.Try formatting the hard drive and re-installing windows.

Did that, same problem. Even used another hard drive.

Check the hard disk. Your symptom pinpoints that it's your HDD is the causes for your problem.

I don't think so. I found another older hard-disks and it started fine, but in the middle of installation of Ubuntu it shut down. I tried to remove the hard disk completely, and try the "live CD" where Ubuntu runs in RAM, without writing anything to the hard-drive but the computer still reboots. I think the problem may be that the computer is open (there is no side cover) and it is really dusty inside and it messes up motherboard or RAM or something else, but I am not sure. What do you think I should do next

You could try to clean the dust inside to make sure it wasn't an overheat issue but usually that's the case. Not all computer can support ubuntu especially some old computer like you're probably using right now.

When your live cd not working, the only thing to rule in is motherboard, heatsink, processor and external hardware connections but most probably it's motherboard issue and/or overheating problem...

Try again but when it shut down unexpectedly, touch the side of the heatsink but don't touch too long or you might got burned. If you feel a very hot feel from it, then yes it's a heatsink problem...

Alright, I will try to do that

try to repormat..and install the windows again..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.