I have a Gateway GT5032 and it won't post, it does not beep or anything!!!

Specs:

RAM: Installed: 1024 MB 400 MHz (PC3200) DDR memory (two 512 MB modules)
Expandable to: 4 GB
CPU: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 dual-core processor 4200+

* 2.2 GHz
* 2000 MHz front side bus
* L2 cache: 512 KB x2
MOBO: Foxconn C51GU01 Motherboard

Symptoms:

PC won't boot at all!

Automatically tuns on when power is connected to Power supply

The only thing connected to the mother board is the power connectors, CPU, CPU heat skin, CPU fan, and RAM. When I try to turn off the PC I have to hold the power button for 6 seconds. I tested the RAM on an other machine and it's fine.

I made it work for one day. I took it apart completely and rebuilt it with the same parts and wola! it worked!!, but next morning I powered it on and it was dead once again.

I think it all comes down to 2 things: the Mother Board or the CPU.

I need help or tips can some one explain to me why did my computer decided to work when I reseated everything and the next day it broke? and oin addition can some one give me tips or help me trouble shoot if it's something else like the BIOS??

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

You will need a beeper.. it can tell you allot. You can use any beeper from any PC. Every motherboard has beeper (or PC speaker) connectors.

For the troubleshooting, it means the world.

Also, try this combination:

PSU + MOBO + VGA
(no RAM)
.. and see if you get any video feedback on the monitor. (like, error codes)

thanks!!

Is there something like a card that you can plug in to a PCI slot and tell you what's wrong?

You will need a beeper.. it can tell you allot. You can use any beeper from any PC. Every motherboard has beeper (or PC speaker) connectors.

For the troubleshooting, it means the world.

Also, try this combination:

PSU + MOBO + VGA
(no RAM)
.. and see if you get any video feedback on the monitor. (like, error codes)

No it did not work, no beep. I herd of a PCMI Post card analyzer. It' thinking that it's the MOBO or CPU. The CPU heats up and all. This one is a real challenge for me!

There are number of PCI/ISA post card analyzers. Prices ranging from $5 to $70.
Like this one.

You might try different PSU. It is not impossible that your PSU is causing this, but my first two suspects are CPU and motherboard.

so you get no display?but it powers on automatically and you must hold the power button for shutdown? am I correct?

I have the same problem on my GT5032. However, I tried reseating the memory per the Gateway website but it still doesn’t boot. Any other suggestions???

Try:
- different memory slots
- one memory module at the time
- no memory at all (to see if there would be any change in behaviour)
- clearing CMOS

THANKS for the reply Chaky!
I tried that and it does seem to make a difference. However, what does seem to make a difference is if I unplug the machine and discharge (by holding the power button), and then wait 10 or 15 minutes…When I turn it back on I can get the machine to post. (short beep). Then it freezes during the boot. If I turn it back on it won’t post.

Other info:
The power supply checks out okay.
I placed the hard drive in another machine and was able to recover ALL my files. It seemed to run fine but, that does mean the boot files on the drive aren’t corrupt. So I tried to boot from the CD but I can’t get any further. I'm hoping it not the CPU or MOBO.

If clearing CMOS doesn't help (either by using the clear CMOS jumper, or removing the coin-shaped battery and waiting couple of minutes before putting it back), then it certainly is either CPU, mobo or RAM.. giving that PSU is OK.

Also, try reseating all the cards you have plugged in.

I Know This Is Old But I Just Got A Gateway GT5032 MOBO C51GU01 Windows 7 AMD Athlon 64 x2 2.20 Ghz 250 GB Hard Drive Nividia
GeForce 6100 1.38 GB of Ram I Was Having This Same Problem Wouldn;t Boot Had No Beeps With Or With Out Ram Chips In
And To What I Could Tell It Was The Mobo I moved the bios jumper didn't fix it so i just left it unhooked for the night with the jumper set it reset bios i hooked it back up and it worked again but now every five mins myaero theme goes out and it says my video card stoped working but then it pops back on any ideas

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.