Not to long ago i built my custom pc.

AMD 3500+
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard
GeForce 6800
200 GB SATA Seagate Hard Drive
Corsair (TWINX1024-3200C2PT) (2 x 512MB Matched Pair) 1024MB DDR RAM (Ebuyer Code 52471)

My problem is with my RAM, i was testing some new stuff out on the PC and i was just using one stick of RAM. Suddenly the other stick had dissapeared and not reapeared since :o :rolleyes: . So I now only have one stick of 512mb RAM.

I was just wondering wheather i should/could buy another stick of RAM to replace it, because i kinda need 1gb of RAM but dont know what is the best option of if there are any limits that will only allow me to have certain RAM that will fit my original.

Any help will be appriciated

Cheers

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I know this may be a dumb question, but did you have your machine on and/or plugged in when you put in the ram?

Also, try switching the "bad" ram into the other slot where you know if it is working and see if it works there. This way you can tell if its your ram or the ram slot on your motherboard that is bad.

I know this may be a dumb question, but did you have your machine on and/or plugged in when you put in the ram?

Also, try switching the "bad" ram into the other slot where you know if it is working and see if it works there. This way you can tell if its your ram or the ram slot on your motherboard that is bad.

I only have one stick of RAM 512, i did have 2 sticks of 512 which were the same pair.

I was just wondering if i could stick any other RAM in with that 512 twinx?

You said you had 2 sticks before and one dissapeared...did it physically leave your computer and you cant find it anymore, or is not showing up as ram in your computer even though it is inserted. If the later is the case, do the following that i suggested in the second post.

It has physically disappeared

ok ok...i get it now. You have one stick of ram that used to be a pair of dual channel ram but now you only have one. correct? Although it may work by just adding in another stick of 512 ram to make it dual channel again. Sometimes motherboards are really picky about this, and it may lead to system instability if it works at all. Even if it is a stick of the same brand / model, i know some servers are even pickey enough to only accept the ram if they were from the same manufacturing lot! I would just sell that stick off and buy a new paired set of ram.

K cheers for you help

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.