Just another vote of agreement.

Even if the repair shop didn't purpously skneetch a stick of your RAM (and yes- that definitely does happen), they may have forgotten to reinstall it or they reinstalled it incorrectly. Open the case to physically verify what you've got in there.

HI.. I didnt send my computer anywhere, I did at one time restore.. and I did change my CD to a new one, with a dvd player..its set in master position. I had 256mb RAM now I show 128? any help on where I could find it? or what happened to it? hehe I have some knowledge of puters, but this has me baffled. :cry: ty Judith

Recommended Answers

All 29 Replies

Hi Judith,

I've split your question off into it's own topic. Piggybacking questions onto a different topic isn't encouraged and may also limit your chances of being answered.

To start things off, I'd suggest you open up the system case and see if there's a RAM module in there which has worked its way loose in the slot. If this has happened, it wouldn't be registering as present.

I'd also ask you to let us know your system specifications. The make and model of your PC, the make and model of your motherboard, what video display is included and so on.......

not sure is this is what u want, but here goes. XP home....Version HP Pavillion 04
mode/PS331-a-ABA XT983
type X86
Authentic AMD 1395 mgz
video..hp mx70 on sa Graphics Pro savage memory 16MB Bios info. 03.3c.23

The HP Pavillion bit is the most helpful. Has it got a model number printed on the case or on an ID sticker on the back?

ok its a pavilion xt983

Hi again. That HP Pavilion was originally fitted with 128Mb of SD-RAM, so another 128Mb module must have been fitted at some stage. Again, I'd suggest you open up the case and verify that a module hasn't worked loose in it's slot. Both modules should be pushed down firmly, and the retaining clips engaged. If one isn't pressed home completely, it won't be registering, and it may have been bumped loose when the drives were changed.

hi, I checked the ram slots, they all seem secure..Im not too familiar with ram, but I know where it is etc.. my son has the same computer, and I looked in his system information and it reads 256 ram.. ok so I went into bios today hehe.. this is what it said. installed memory 128 MB /133 mhz....memory bank 0 128 mb sdram also memory bank 1 not installed... cache ram 256kb.. I have no idea what it all means, but wanted to show you as you are being so helpful..
you meant when I changed the cd drives? will recheck again though ty.. Judith

If you have more than 1 RAM module physically present in the PC, but only one is showing as present in BIOS, then it's quite likely that the other is either loose or dead.

You could try resetting CMOS, in case the info there which identifies the RAM module to the system is a bit 'scrambled'. Turn it off, remove the power cord, and locate the round CMOS battery which should be fitted to a holder on the mainboard. Remove it and leave it out for at least several minutes (overnight is better) before replacing it and rebooting.

That should reset all the CMOS settings to default values, and your computer may just 'find' the extra RAM module again. It's worth a try, anyway ;)

oh I did find a round disk, but Im wondering, can I mess it up if I take it out hehe. or touch it.. I tried to take it out, but not sure how hard to pull. I just want to make sure I can touch it with my fingers and not ruin it. Im building up courage. ty so much for all your help though

Turn your system off. Remove the power cord. Tell yourself if you don't do this it's going to cost you as much as several bottles of fine wine if you get a technician to do it for you. Hook your fingernail under the edge of it and flip the little tacker out!

Then go and buy yourself one of those bottles of wine to celebrate your achievement!

(It's only a little battery in a clip ;))

Sometimes you simply have to take the RAM out of the socket and put it back in. When you have it out, take a flashlight and look at the pins in the socket and make sure they're not bent. (Happens sometimes.)

Also, if there's another free RAM slot, you could try moving one stick over to it.

hi Puckdropper. I dont know, Im half afraid of taking it out, as on an older computer we took them out to put new ones in, just to upgrade, and it fried them all.. and we had the computer turned off etc. unplugged. was kinda wierd. but I never took them out before. It looks to be two huge long slots, and the other one is not is empty.. Maybe, the other ram was with the old CD,-cd writer box. I replaced that one..
I dont know.. sigh.. always something.. but I do appreciate all of your help..

can I ask another question? I have no idea where to put the question.. but I wanted to hook to computers so we can both get online..someone said a router, I do not have any idea. I have been reading onlline, and I still dont understand.. but if someone could direct me to the right infor. etc, I would be tickled.
ty ty ty
Judith
p.s I forgot my username and password, so Ihad to play with that for a spell. old age is killing me hahaha :lol:

It looks to be two huge long slots, and the other one is not is empty.. Maybe, the other ram was with the old CD,-cd writer box.

Is it possible that the second stick of RAM, although seemingly physically compatible with the new comuter, is not electrically compatible? That is- is the second stick of RAM the same type as the first?

...I wanted to hook to computers so we can both get online..someone said a router, I do not have any idea.

If you have a cable or DSL Internet connection, a broadband gateway router is the specific beast you're looking for. They come in a wide variety of flavors, but basically they all have one connection that goes to your modem, and a number of other connectors into which you plug your computers. The router acts as a "traffic cop" by correctly routing the streams of information between each of the computers and the Internet.

You can get wired (Ethernet)-only routers, wireless routers, or routers which have a combination of both connection types. Linksys and Netgear are two popular manufacturers, some specific model #s are:

Linksys- BEFSR41, BEFW11S4, WRT54G
Netgear- RT614, CG814M, WGR614

I dont know, Im half afraid of taking it out, as on an older computer we took them out to put new ones in, just to upgrade, and it fried them all.. and we had the computer turned off etc. unplugged. was kinda wierd.

You could have fried them with static electricity. Leave the computer plugged in, you NEED the earth ground some times. Touch the power supply, and you should then be discharged from static. After that, you can remove your RAM and insert it again. Just to be safe, keep touching the power supply every so often so you're constantly grounded. (Alternatively, you could get an anti-static wristband.)

If you're still not sure about doing this, don't. Get someone who knows what they're doing to look at it.

for the gateway router, I have only dialup, is it feasible for to have a router with that?

Sure is, but you should probably start a thread in the networking section.

Btw, I had a dialup router running for about 2 years. We got DSL and I adapted it to DSL. (It was a 486 running Freesco. www.freesco.org)

...(It was a 486 running Freesco. www.freesco.org)

Sounds like you're talking about about a dedicated computer acting as the router, yes? That might a bit of overkill or a bit too complicated for the average user to set up, but dedicated dial-up router devices are available.

Like Cable/DSL routers, dial-up routers have built-in Ethernet ports where you plug in all of your computers, and a modem port which you connect to your modem. There are some considerations to keep in mind though:

- The setup needs an external modem.
- Each of the computers that you want to connect to the router will need it's own Ethernet network card.
- Dial-up connections are quite slow compared to broadband, even with only one computer involved; simultaneously sharing a dial-up connection with multiple computers will not be much fun performance-wise.

Sounds like you're talking about about a dedicated computer acting as the router, yes? That might a bit of overkill or a bit too complicated for the average user to set up, but dedicated dial-up router devices are available.

Freesco isn't at all complicated. It practically sets itself up for you. Follow the dialogues, and then just let it assign addresses via DHCP, and client config is as easy as installing TCP/IP.

Yeah, I know- that's true.

I was just thinking that setting up a dedicated *NIX computer to act as the router could be a bit more than the average home user might want to delve into considering the fact that there are "off the shelf" devices that can provide the same basic functionality.

You won't need one with dial-up. A network card in each PC, and a 'crossover' cable to join them is all you'll need. You can use the 'Internet Connection- sharing' feature of Windows.

How do I know if I have an ethernet card present? I know I need one with the laptop, but how do you know with the PC?
thanks,
judith

errr... uummmm........

If you have an Ethernet card you will have an Ethernet socket in one of the card slots! If you have onboard Ethernet, you will have an Ethernet socket somewhere in the rear connector panel. It's like a phone socket only a tiny tad bigger ;)

You won't need one with dial-up. A network card in each PC, and a 'crossover' cable to join them is all you'll need. You can use the 'Internet Connection- sharing' feature of Windows.

but can both computers get online at the same time? I do have a cable, and I did use windows sharing, but we both cant get online at the same time..that is what I want.. judith :cheesy:

Yes, Judith, both can be online at the same time. But the connection has to be made first on the PC which has the modem installed. Once the connection is active, the second PC can use it via the network. You simply need to run the Network wizard and configure the systems for internet connection sharing and it'll work fine.

You just wont be able to MAKE a connection with the second PC, that's all. The connection always has to be made on the first PC..

By the way, if this discussion is to continue, it really SHOULD be in it's own topic in the networking section. Please PM me if you need further advice, and I'll split the relevent section of the discussion off to a new topic in that section.

for the gateway router, I have only dialup, is it feasible for to have a router with that?

You may want to ask this question in it's own thread, under the operating system you're using.

Most likely, if you're using a Windows OS, you will want to use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). How to set this up, and which computer to use as the main connection point, will depend on the OS of each computer.

Keep in mind, too, that if you are both using the internet at the same time, your speed will be even slower than it is now.

Did you get your RAM problem fixed?

Hi, No I didnt get the ram fixed.. I notice one long slot, with two places for ram modules, but there is one ram module in there.. so I dont know what is wrong..I dont know partitions, but could there have been a partition made or something when I

Its interesting, I sent my son to pick up a network card for my laptop, as I have a cable, and I was going to use the network with xp, to try to hook both computers up. the salesmen, said no no no, you cannot both get online.thats impossible,,and if u could, u both would have to look at the same thing..??
I really am going to get the network card and try it, but why do they all say that? Im leaving for vacation tomorrow..and will be back..and I will pick up a network card myself for the laptop..
judith ty all for your help..
RAM...I did notice the other day, it keeps changing profiles on me..I was looking at some loggings they have for what my computer does.. I dont understand a lot of things. Judith

Its interesting, I sent my son to pick up a network card for my laptop, as I have a cable, and I was going to use the network with xp, to try to hook both computers up. the salesmen, said no no no, you cannot both get online.thats impossible,,and if u could, u both would have to look at the same thing..??

....I dont understand a lot of things. Judith

Judith, neither does that salesman ;)

judith,
if i were you i would remove both pieces of RAM and try each one in each slot and you will find if one Memory stick or one slot on the motherboard is bad. good luck.

Due to the fact that the member who originally started this thread has not responded in nearly one year, this thread is considered abandoned and has been closed.

In accordance with our posting rules, other members having similar problems should start their own threads and post their questions there. In order to help us help you most quickly, please include as much information about your problem as possible in your posts.

If the member who originally started this thread wishes to have the thread reopened, please send your request, including a link to this thread, to one of our moderators via email or Private Message.

Thank you.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.