I have a 1.5 terabyte hdd with windows 7 loaded on it but recently got a ssd drive and installed that as the system drive. All worked fine for a few weeks, but i plugged my blue ray player in and i think what happened was the paging files were set to the d (secondary drive) and the drive letters got changed with the new hardware config. So when i booted it said it couldn't boot from the ssd. so after a few hours of retrying hardware configs(none worked and could not boot, maybe booting the second drive overwrote the paging files on disk 2?). I decided to reformat my ssd and re install my os. Does anyone know exactly what caused this or how to change the system drives from one drive to another so this doesn't happen again. It wasn't that bad because it was just the os and drivers on it but would like to know how to fix it for next time. All the sata drives are set as primary drives and my ssd is set as 1st boot device and hard drive 1. since then i have deleted my windows files from my secondary drive to stop it from booting. i have my blue ray in port 1: ssd port 2: 1.5 terabyte port 3: and port 4: 500gb.

so recap, how do i change my system drive and can you move the paging files of an os back to the other drive or repair them.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

i have read through that forum, i have done all those things + more including enabling trimming of files and storing paging files on a second drive(which becomes overwritten bad idea until the drive is clean i guess), Disable indexing, system restore, compressing system files for quick decompression and more space. He says disable paging files but from what i know windows 7 cant work properly if its paging files are too small or disabled and wont boot? and that's the problem i ran into i think them being overwritten by a second install caused windows to not boot.

http://lifehacker.com/5426041/understanding-the-windows-pagefile-and-why-you-shouldnt-disable-it

anyways thanks for the advice and if i come across anything useful ill post here

here is a really good video for anyone else wanting to optimize their ssd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LTqN9FVjm8

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.