I have a newly acquired X20 laptop running Win 2000 and an old Norton 2002. Before dispatch the CD-ROM was playing music OK. Now the CD-Rom appears to play but there is no sound. Control Panel --> Multimedia reveals no sound related hardware. Ditto using IBM PC doctor. Is is likely that vibration in transit loosened the sound connection - in which case I could try getting at it and fixing it. Or is it more likely that there is a driver problem even though there is no sign of hardware in which case how do I reload the Drystal Fusion driverplease :-| ?
Regards,
Avhation

For the information of similarly inexperienced users, the problem boiled down to a missing driver. Maybe it was eaten by th eBlackworm virus I also found. The IBM site was of some help, but the driver I downloaded there did not help. I did update th eBIOS and enbedded controller as IBM recommended. I eventually worked out that the driver I needed was not part of the embedded controller but a seperate Crystal Fusion one which I found on the Cirrus Logic site, free of charge, and all is now well.

I have a newly acquired X20 laptop running Win 2000 and an old Norton 2002. Before dispatch the CD-ROM was playing music OK. Now the CD-Rom appears to play but there is no sound. Control Panel --> Multimedia reveals no sound related hardware. Ditto using IBM PC doctor. Is is likely that vibration in transit loosened the sound connection - in which case I could try getting at it and fixing it. Or is it more likely that there is a driver problem even though there is no sign of hardware in which case how do I reload the Drystal Fusion driverplease :-| ?
Regards,
Avhation

I found what I needed thru an ebay auction. My system works great now got my sound and it is great

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.