Installed new western digital hard Drive, 160 Gig.HD is not detected in manufacturers setup disk, and also not in BIOS. chanel 1 cabel has no hard drives displayed, chanel 2 ribbon cabel(secodary), shows both my CD-RW'S. Cofused, can you help?

The origina HD has WIN XP on it.I got a virus, microsoft sent me a online fix for it, but I needed to use IE browser to do it. IE stopped working, tried to reinstall IE, but kept saying I already have a newer version and stopped the install. Now I tried to reinstall XP over the old XP, but it locked up when it asked me for a Video driver disk. Everytime I reboot the machine, it starts XP setup and does the same thing. Can not get out of it. I heard that a half installed XP you cann't ABORT, then what do I do, format and loose everything? So I installed this new drive as mentioned above and can not get it formatted or anything because it says it is not there. I changed cables, channels, trppled check the master/slave config. , I am lost. Can anyone help before I have to bite the bullet and bring it in to the shop?

If the old harddrive shows up, then this sounds like your new hdd is bad. Do you have another machine you can try the drive in?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.